Missing nt

Need help trying to figure out why my 2010 nt starts missing when bike gets hot. Bike reads at half on temp gauge when missing starts. Replaced spark plug caps and is not the issue.
Idea greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
Need help trying to figure out why my 2010 nt starts missing when bike gets hot. Bike reads at half on temp gauge when missing starts. Replaced spark plug caps and is not the issue.

Thanks
Dave
When old ignition coils get hot, they sometimes begin to fail intermittently.

You might try swapping on a new pair of coils...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Does it "miss" at idle? slow or fast speeds? No trouble codes? If you have an intermittant crank or cam angle position sensor, in general, since the computer has historical memory, it wont show up as a miss but you will get a code. This may not be a good idea but I dont know why . I would take off one plug cap, then put that back and take off the other...and see if you can localize it to a cyclinder.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
I would take off one plug cap, then put that back and take off the other...and see if you can localize it to a cylinder.
That is a good idea - and if you can isolate it to one cylinder - try switching the coil to the other and see if the problem follows the coil.

If it does same cylinder continues to misfire then it is likely a fuel injection issue (which isn't as likely as a coil breaking down based on my experience with elderly bikes).

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Did you happen to install new spark plugs when you installed the new spark plug caps?

There are global reports of counterfeit spark plugs, especially NGK plugs so this may be a problem if you have changed the spark plugs.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Oldbluesguy

Thanks
Dave
Additional info:
The bike only has 3500mi on it and 1k of recent miles. It is an intermittent problem that occurs upon acceleration after it heats up acting similarly to a throttle body problem or another unknown sensor issue.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll keep trying until something is found.
Dave

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
I too would incline towards an electrical problem for the simple reason that it is less likely to trigger the malfunction/emissions light. Seeing that you are in Florida, my first thought was that the bike would be mainly dry but then thought that it could be subject to high humidity.

In the UK’s damp and salty environment, faults often originate in corroded connectors. Faults disappear as the multimeter is applied, because separating and rejoining connectors cleans the contacts. It is just something with which we must live. It is considered to be good practice to rejoin with silicone grease in the connector.

However, do consider the fuel. Has the bike been unused because of covid restrictions? Ethanol is hygroscopic. It may run well with the rich cold start setting, then misfire when warm and going into the normal lean burn mode.

Top Bottom