Motion Pro Slacksetter Pro

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hey All,

I came across a handy tool while surfing around on Amazon for the rest of us that have some motorcycles with drive chains. Motion Pro Chain Tension Tool Slack Setter Pro 08-0674

This tool is easy to use after getting a little practice trying to use it. I found it to be most useful in the "Slack Measurement" configuration.

It took a lot of the guesswork of I was getting the chain slack on NaNCy set correctly. I have gone through a few chains and sprockets already on this bike. I am hoping that this tool will help me get more mileage out of this next set of sprockets and chain.

Please see the images below.

MotionPro-Slacksetter01.jpg

MotionPro-Slacksetter02.jpg

MotionPro-Slacksetter03.jpg

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That looks like a good tool to use to get good chain slack setting. But I'm not at all sure that the "perfect" chain setting is the same when a chain is approaching the limit of stretch and the cogs are getting cupped out. I have found it a bad idea to set chain slack too tight in the twilight of a drive systems life. It causes accelerated wear and sometimes a broken chain. Makes (bad) noise too. The rear cogs don't wear as fast as the drive cog so they have slightly different pitch and the chain doesn't match either one of them well. It is just a function of wear and adjusting worn parts is sort of like chasing your tail. This observation is from my experience on bicycles, motorcycles, and a bunch of worn out farm machinery that I don't want to spend much money on. At 24K miles on my Tiger I can barely measure the chain stretch. I have never really adjusted the chain except when I had the wheel off to replace tires.

Top Bottom