Motorcycle Riders: You're Using the Wrong RPM

ett

The NT having a 5-speed gearbox instead of 6. I bet not many NT's have a problem with carbon build up.
Not that I've had a problem with carbon build up in any of my vehicles. ;)

What say you ?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The NT having a 5-speed gearbox instead of 6. I bet not many NT's have a problem with carbon build up.
Not that I've had a problem with carbon build up in any of my vehicles. ;)

What say you ?

This guy is smokeing left handed cigarettes!
You cant compare a Yamaha RD400 two stroke with a bike of today
Yes, the XKE tuneup would work on carb cars of the last century.....
Computer controled bikes like I have dont like to be lugged for sure..no engine does.
But the bike designers of today, as long as one uses good fuel....are pretty smart. And bikes do alot better at regulating their temps. I see lots of holes in pistons....they are in racing planes running max manifold pressure /BMEPs at race speeds....
Should you lug your bike?
No.
Should you spend lots of time worrying about being in 5th or 6th gear on you VFR? at 70 mph? No. The bike will do 140. I do 75 or 80. Horse power needs are asymtotic the faster you go.
Carbon buildup used to be a big thing, actually....The US Govt lowered the specs on cleaners in the fuels one year.....suddendly, manufactures were having problems they never should have had. Dirty intake valves at 5,000 miles. The manufactures put their heads together and formed the top tier organization that came up with fuel cleaner standards.
They have toned down their rhetoric over the years but if you use top tier, you can forget about carbon....and yes, Premium has twice the cleaners that regular has in the top tier world.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Personally, I think the fears of "lugging the engine" are way overblown. I've never heard of a modern motorcycle or car having a engine failure due to lugging. Yes, an engine does tend to build more carbon at lower RPM but it continues to run OK.

My 2016 Accord @ 65-70 mph on the interstate is barely taching a bit over 2000 RPM. ;)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have found that an occasional romp through the gears on an Interstate on ramp is usually all that is necessary to blow the cobwebs out of the engine.... plus its fun :thumb:

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I have found that an occasional romp through the gears on an Interstate on ramp is usually all that is necessary to blow the cobwebs out of the engine.... plus its fun :thumb:

Mike
Ah, the old classic Italian tuneup. Just don't do it in your classic cars with no rev limiters. You might find yourself needing much more than just tuneup parts, if you get my drift. šŸ˜­

Top Bottom