[Review] MRA Vario Touringscreen

elizilla

(from old forum, 9/15/2010)

Yesterday my MRA Vario windshield arrived. This is a shield with an adjustable spoiler at the top. I chose this shield because I had one on my V-Strom and liked it really well.

The base windshield is very close in height to the stock windshield. I think it looks more square, but when I held them next to each other they were not that different. The adjustable spoiler has seven positions. In the lowest position, the top edge of the spoiler matches the top edge of the base screen. In the highest position it adds about four inches of height to the base screen, and it is angled more vertically.

With multiple positions for the base screen, and multiple positions for the spoiler, there will be a huge range of flexibility. With both adjustments at their lowest point, the top edge is no higher than stock. With both adjustments at their highest position, the top edge is at least four inches over stock, and slightly higher than I'd like. So the MRA Vario covers a huge range of sizes in just one shield. I am optimistic that I will find some sweet spots with it. I installed it on my bike just in time to ride with it when I went out to dinner with friends last night, and while it seemed quieter than stock, you can't judge from lower speed runs like that - the true test is out on the highway. I will report back when I've tested it there.

I ordered the smoke grey version. This is a fairly dark smoke color. I think it looks good on the bike but if you expect to look through it, clear would be a better choice. The plastic is not as thick as the stock shield, and it came with washers to fill things out when you bolt it on. It fit the bike very well with no bending or flexing needed to get it onto the mounts, and it moves up and down with no more force than was needed with the stock shield. The MRA Vario I had on my V-Strom was fairly durable and scratch resistant under hard use, so I expect this one will do fine too. The squarer shape is not as pretty as some of the other shields that I have seen, but perhaps it will offer functional advantages. It was well packaged and arrived in perfect condition.

Here is the view from my eye level, while sitting on the seat, with the shield all the way up and the spoiler all the way down. This is the most visually intrusive position available and I doubt I'll ever run it like this, I just set it up this way to show how it looks at its worst.

This is a close-up of the mechanism that holds the spoiler in place:

Side view with the shield and spoiler both in their lowest possible positions:

Side view with the shield and spoiler both in their highest possible positions:

OP
OP

elizilla

(continued)

Front view with the shield and spoiler both in their lowest possible positions:

Front view with the shield and spoiler both in their highest possible positions:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll be anxious to see how you like this, Katherine. I've been wondering about them. I do occasionally like to look through the windshields (yesterday morning when it was 19F as I left here to ride to Denver, dropping down behind it made a lot of difference to the way my face felt), so I don't think I'd get the dark version. But, overall, it doesn't look bad -- at least not as bad as I thought it might.

Top Bottom