MSTA Lunch Ride and More

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
This past Saturday was the first annual Lunch Ride for the Ohio Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA) so an email was sent out a few weeks ago as a reminder. As the day approached and the weatherman made his predictions several chose not to go. Lori and I had already chosen to go, even with a slight chance of rain in the forecast and very overcast skies.

It was a bit cool Saturday morning as I rode to meet Lori. As Lori and I rode into the meeting place for the rest of the MSTA group only one other had chose to do the nearly 4 hr route I had chosen to get there. Hal, Lori and I headed out and by the time we reached where we planned to jump off the expressway and onto some fun 2 lane there was a traffic jam that looked to be a mile or more long into the exit ramp. I quickly advised the others we would be taking a detour. We rode a few more miles on the expressway and got off on another road that would get us to Rt.56 so we could continue our route.

It actually was a great choice as we found Rt.681 from Albany OH north to OH 356 was all new blacktop and such a fun road. OH 356 was repaved about two years ago so both made a great reroute.

Here Hal and Lori following my lead on Rt.56 as we closed on Laurelville OH.

The winds became difficult as we left Chillicothe OH on US50 and onto Rt.41 with gusts hitting us from both sides, one direction and then the other. It was lots of fun (rolling eyes) to stay in our lane.

We all got a pretty good laugh at "The White House" in Manchester, OH.

When we arrived at Moyer's Winery and I backed the NT into a spot, I climbed off and it started to resemble an NT gathering instead of MSTA event. Note the three other NT's in this picture and mine was behind the camera.

I haven't seen that many NT's in the same parking lot since the OH NT ride last year.

Since we were that close to Kentucky, Lori and I had decided to head on into Kentucky for some back roads fun and then used our two feet to enjoy some cave and cliff's fun at Carter Caves State Park.

Here was an unusual water fall coming right out the side of a mountain under a hug overhang.

And then some natural bridges (Arches) and cliffs.

Due to previous weather reports we chose not to camp on the overnighter and enjoyed the lodge there along with the food in their restaurant, all homemade, which was super delicious. Possibly a good location for a OH/KY NT gathering?

After our hike on Sunday morning we started our trip back to WV on all back roads. Along the route we found several roads closed to high water?? Don't know what caused that as we hadn't had rain in a few days. The water was swift under the bridges and in the main channel so I couldn't think backwater. We had to reroute a couple times to get to the early dinner location (Wild Horse Cafe) in Pomeroy, OH that I had planned. It was Lori's birthday weekend so I wanted her to have a great ride and it all worked out great !

Road was completely covered just past the house.

After a great meal at the Wild Horse it was some more backroads into WV and home. This is a good reminder to just do it even if the weather isn't looking the greatest. Both days were sun filled as you can see and we never needed the rainsuits. We got one short sprinkle on Saturday morning and another short one just after leaving the Wild Horse.

Life is Good ! !

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looks like a great weekend! Who were the other NTs?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
By the way, "The White House" or any of those other pristine, single-wides on that same lot can be yours for a song.
I kidded Debbie about buying one as a "fixer-upper" river front home. :)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Great photos. I'm inspired to ride down there to see it - which I will do next week.

Good thing you didn't meet a oncoming loaded semi on that flooded road.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great photos. Looks like you had at least one Suzuki GS500F on the trip. Those are good little sport bikes.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Great photos. Looks like you had at least one Suzuki GS500F on the trip. Those are good little sport bikes.
Yes Chuck, that's my friend Lori's GS500F. She's had it just over a year and loves it. We've got her all decked out with good luggage, larger windscreen, cruise/throttle lock and a little wider/taller tires and it's doing great. She said the tires made more difference than anything.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Great photos. I'm inspired to ride down there to see it - which I will do next week.

Good thing you didn't meet a oncoming loaded semi on that flooded road.
Oh we were barely moving on that road and turned around in front of the house in the distance. Just past it the road was completely covered and you couldn't see centerline.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...and not sure who owns the black one.]
It belongs to a close friend who's ridden long distance many times with our MSTA group. She rode with us to Hyder, AK and also to Nova Scotia, and every place between the two, plus one riding trip to Brasil.

Top Bottom