Mt Rainier bummer

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Please decipher what this means for us flatlanders.....
:shrug2:
Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I think it's like Pikes Peak now where you have to pre-schedule entry? I assume PP is still that way.

• Sad
Reactions: ett

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks for the info. I think Yellowstone NP has been doing something like this for sometime now. I feel sorry for the families (can you say Griswold :rofl1: ) who drive hundreds of miles and just show up only to get turned away. At least if you are an early bird you can still get in and a ride thru after 3pm wouldn't be bad either.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for the info. I think Yellowstone NP has been doing something like this for sometime now. I feel sorry for the families (can you say Griswold :rofl1: ) who drive hundreds of miles and just show up only to get turned away. At least if you are an early bird you can still get in and a ride thru after 3pm wouldn't be bad either.
Arches certainly does something like this now. I dont think Yellowstone does yet cause the roads in the park connect parts of states. The center roads are like a big round a bout. In this case, I can certainly do my one lap of WA by heading up 410 from Yakima, camping in a USNF campground on 410, then heading around the park using 123 south to 12 west. What this does is basically kill last minute day trips from the Seattle area through certain parts of the park. For people coming from far away areas, you be forced to plan ahead and buy lots of days in case poo poo happens.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What Mellow said hopefully. Or one vehicle coming out means one vehicle can go in is the worst case definition.
Frosty and I ran into this sort of thing in Arches. We had a reserved campsite but were turned away for 4 hours till enough people left so that another group could enter. Now I think they went to timed entry.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Even with a reserved campsite you were turned away!!?? I would say that that would be time for some hell raising to a supervisor! That's nonsense..... but wait..... we are dealing with the government after all......

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In our case, Frosty and I went a few miles back to a nice park on a river and just waited out the 4 hours. No wait for the other parks nearby. Now at least the NPS is seeing the insanity of this approach and indeed IIRC Frosty had a lodge reservation at Glacier NP and didnt need a day time slot permit. A number of people predicted that "camping" would collapse after the pandemic but it is still going strong. All those nice campgrounds built during the great Depression need to be expanded. And new ones built. Also, time slots shouldnt apply to motorcyclists. ;)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Please decipher what this means for us flatlanders.....
:shrug2:
Mike
One has to make a reservation on line for a two hour time slot to enter the park, at least here in Colorado. The reservation cost two bucks and then when you enter the park, must pay the entrance fee, or show NP Pass.

Top Bottom