My shirt is air conditioned

Bike
2011 NT700v
I've found a product that cools you.

Last xmas, my wife gave me a Columbia fishing shirt with cooling technology. I live in the heat and humidity in SW Florida and I spend a lot of time on the water.

Tarpon are in here and we've been doing some serious fishing in 90 degree heat and high humidity.

This shirt actually gets cold. The slightest breeze even in high humidity and it feels cool.

It's called Omni Freeze Zero technology. Here's a link to one of their products. http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Freeze-Degree%E2%84%A2-Short-Sleeve-Crew/AM6620,default,pd.html

Here's what it says about it

Makes Hot Cool. Literally.

Sweat smarter with Omni-Freeze ZERO. Sweat reacts with blue rings to lower the temperature of the material. Others will feel heat. You'll feel an arctic blast.
When You Get Hot, It Gets Cooler.

Omni-Freeze ZERO is the industry's leading cooling technology. The Omni-Freeze ZERO blue rings capitalize on your sweat to lower the overall temperature of the material, accelerate the wicking process and provide an instant and prolonged cooling.

I've been a flats fisherman down here for a long time and I've never felt anything as cool as this stuff is.

Knowing how well it works on the water, I took the bike out for a spin wearing it. Same thing it' very cool. I don't own armor or riding gear but I would imagine this would work incredibly well under it as long as air can move by it.

fltsfshr

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I know it's not the exact shirt but walmart sells lots of active-ware that's dry-star branded and pretty much just synthetic material which does a great job of feeling cool when it's wet with the slightest breeze. Makes no sense but in cold weather, this is a great base layer as it seems to help keep you warmer.. lots of active ware out there under different brands w/similar material. It's great stuff and 90% of what I pack is synthetic materials like the polyester cargo pants that convert to shorts.

I was riding through Sequoia Nat'l Park a few years ago w/a couple friends and it was toasty. I had one of these shirts on and decided maybe it was making me feel warmer than it should so when we stopped I put on a cotton shirt, felt better once I put it on but after about 5 mins I was in a microwave... the synthetic shirt went back on.. LOL

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Sorry but I'm an anti-Wal Mart person!

I found that Dick's Sporting Goods, a national chain, carries the Columbia line and has these cold freeze shirts so I'm going to stop there in the near future....and while there I'll get new bicycle riding shorts as mine have served me well for 3-4 years.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
So the material is 92% polyester and 8% elastane. My Champion shirts are 85% poly and 15% spandex or 100% poly.

I would wonder if elastane really makes that much difference? Just curious since Columbia wants $60 for a shirt that seems to be like the one I pay $11 for.

The pure poly shirts do act like you describe. And they are great base layer shirts for cold weather as well.

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
It's a different material. I don't think it's the elastane, it's the design of the thread itself and how it's woven. Elastane is just another name for spandex.

This has a different feel to it that regular poly. I found this video on it. This is their latest version of it. It's called Omni Freeze Zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZIRqpzoAE

fltsfshr

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I bought two Omni Freeze Zero shirts and they do feel cool, if not cold when you wear them. I have three complaints: they are $60 or more, they don't wear well--mine are coming apart at the seams, and the feel is damp and clammy if worn next to the skin. Columbia Omni Dry and Omni Wick shirts work as well or better and are less expensive and more comfortable, at least in my experience.

Nike makes some excellent wicking long-sleeved undershirt/base layer products that work very well under my Teiz suit and can be found on sale at Target and elsewhere on a regular basis. I also have a set of silk-weight wicking base-layer underwear from Patagonia that are excellent; although they are expensive, at the end of ski season they are on sale for 50-70% off.

Ken

Top Bottom