Need Help, Please look at photo. (strange hole in front of engine)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yep, that hole in the front of your engine is normal.

This thread started with me freaking out about this funny little hole in the photo below. It has been confirmed that this is normal and does not represent a problem. The hole is used to help pry apart the cases.

Thanks to those that replied and eased my concerns.

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Are you using any oil? It looks to me as if a hole that big into the crankcase would not just result in some oil on the outside of the engine, but all of the oil on the outside of the engine.

[Please hold for a brief pause while I go to the garage and take a look]

I just went and looked at my engine and that isn't a hole through anything. It looks like the kind of thing that Honda cast into the case to assist in separating the two halves. It's on my engine, too.

The service rep wasn't giving you any bull. Other sources of oil can be as simple as overfilling the engine after an oil change. On my old Concours, if the engine was overfilled, a lot of oil would end up in the airbox and then drip all over the rear shock (the Connie's air box was just above and in front of the shock).

Relax. Take a careful look. If you think you find the leak, clean that area carefully, spray it with athlete's foot powder (don't ask me why, but that's what everybody says to use), run the engine and see if oil shows up.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I just went out to the parking lot to look at mine and to my surprise it has the same hole. I put my key in it and it went into the hole about 1/2". There is no oil coming out of it however so I assume that there is a closed off cavity behind it that prevents any oil from coming out the hole.

OP
OP
artemedes
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks guys. I can't believe I never noticed it before. I will look for another source of oil.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Too bad I can't update the title of thread.
You can change it... Do a "Edit Post" and "Go Advanced" and you can edit the title of a post... BTW I'm glad this was just a learning curve issue and not a real "chip off the old block"...:D

Top Bottom