Need help with tire width

prof98801

I will be trailering my new NT700V home in two days. My question is that the trailer that I am going to use has a chock width of 4 1/2 inches. I would hate to haul the trailer 200 miles only to find out the NT front tire is too wide for the chock. Since I do not have my bike yet, would someone please measure their front NT OEM tire and let me know if a 4 1/2 inch wide chock is OK? Thanks.

CoolNT

I measured it to be right at 4.5" wall to wall on my OEM. It'll be a tight fit and you may be okay but I'd check how close the rim is though.

OP
OP

prof98801

The person that I am borrowing the trailer from said that he has hauled his Ducati in it but it was a tight fit. His Ducati also has a 120 front tire just like the NT.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
120/70X17 seems to be almost a universal front tire size on sport bikes and sport touring bikes. A trailer that wouldn't take one of those wouldn't be much use in the real world of motorcycles. You want a tight fit on a front chock, IMHO.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Having hauled dirt bikes for many years, I feel the purpose of the front wheel chock is to keep the front tire from moving, side-to-side - and not to hold up the bike. If you had tiedowns securing the handlebar ends and straps in the back (from footpeg bracket) it should be plenty secure. You should use something called a "Canyon Dancer" to avoid having the front straps foul the fairing on each side. I would also take a short block of 2 x 4 to use as a spacer in case you're afraid the front wheel will drop too far into the chock and possibly scratch the rim. After you've gone about 10-20 miles, stop and check the tightness of all the straps as the trailer bouncing up-and-down can cause some of them to come loose as things settle in.

Top Bottom