Nelson-Rigg Rain suits

Bike
Bonneville T120
Anybody have experience with Nelson-Rigg rainsuits? In particular the AX-1 MKIII or the VTL-700 Volante? Are they to be worn over a riding jacket?
Thanks

MAC

Hi Dan,
Wife and I have the Tour Master Defender, folds up small and has a pouch to put them in. We wear them over our jackets.

Peace2U_2

i have not yet invested in rain gear (only going into second riding season).... before i pluck down a chunk of change...would very much like to hear varying opinions on what others have discovered to be their favorite. purchased a great waterproof, windproof carhardt jacket that apparently appears to be somewhat indestructible.... they sell a rain pant too....anyone own that for riding and tested it out..... cost is over 100 bucks.

then again...i have met a BMW rider that spent close to 900 bucks for his custom rainsuit.

any insights are appreciated. :)

Igo

Sounds like you should start a general rain gear thread. Spring is here; a good time for it.

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
I started this because I saw the Nelson Rigg rain suits on sale and if I had received a lot of glowing responses I would have purchased them. The response has been underwhelming. I too would love to hear about rain suits that people love.

Last edited:

Raycad

But the 'Stitch isn't totally waterproof. I'm on my second one, over eight years on the first, perfect for light rain, short duration downpours, but not for all day rainy weather. I got totally wet a few times so I'have an old Rukka rainsuit in the panniers to be worn over the 'Stitch for really nasty weather.... it isn't the material in itself, it isn't the stitching, it's the openings....

Ray

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But the 'Stitch isn't totally waterproof. I'm on my second one, over eight years on the first, perfect for light rain, short duration downpours, but not for all day rainy weather. I got totally wet a few times so I'have an old Rukka rainsuit in the panniers to be worn over the 'Stitch for really nasty weather.... it isn't the material in itself, it isn't the stitching, it's the openings....

Ray
Ray, and others, I hear those complaints about the 'Stitch and I know that nobody's making them up. Seem to be a little less prevalent with the two-piece Roadcrafter or Darian gear. But, my experience with two 'Stitches on Concours C-10s and one on my NT-700 has been that I've gotten wet a grand total of once.

On my way across Iowa last July, it started drizzling early in the morning just as we got into the state, and it just accelerated the rainfall rate and the wind strength until about 3:30 in the afternoon. By the time it was raining at rates approaching 1-1 1/2 per hour and the wind was blowing 30-40mph from 90 degrees to our heading, I was having rain blow in through my right side vents at hip, underarm and back. When we stopped and got out of the rain, I was only wet under my arm, in a spot on my back, and around my pants pocket, all on the right side. But since everything I had on was cotton, while we stood there, all that wicked around so that I was damp everywhere.

It is my observation that the newer 'Stitches have improved sealing along zippers. I carried Frogg Toggs for a year or so, but since I never got wet with the 'Stitch, I got rid of them.

elizilla

When my Roadcrafter was new, the leak known as "'stich crotch" was pretty minor. Yes, it made me look like I wet my pants, but people already are looking at me funny since I'm wearing a "snowsuit" in summer - I know how to shrug off the stares. So I rode with it, sans raingear, for several years. But the leak at the crotch gradually worsened, and it was joined by leaks at the spots where to Aerostich back protector shredded the rainproof liner. And as the material softened and the velcro at the collar got tired, water started running down my neck. This was due to the fact that the zipper doesn't come all the way up and the neck opening was about twice as big as it needs to be - no material is waterproof if the neck opening is wide enough to catch the rain rolling off your helmet. :( So for the last few years I wore a rainsuit over it, and this helped greatly.

I think if the suit had fit me better it would have kept the rain out a lot better. My skinny girly neck left that gap for rain to come in, and my womanly hips strained the zippers and let water pool at the crotch. If you have the right size body, it's a fantastic piece of riding gear. If I were a boy, I'd get another one in a heartbeat. But I'm not, so I'll be wearing a rainsuit.

Raycad

Katherine, when my 'Stitch collar velcro started to let go now and then, I'd a metal snap installed; problem solved, no more rain through the neck opening, no more cold air in the neck....

Ray

Top Bottom