Never been tried...by me

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have a state inspection coming up and a quick dash to the Ozarks in April. So I bought a set of tires today.
I have had the factory Dunlops, Pr3s and PR4s, Continental, RoadSmart 2s and 3s

I'm trying a set of Avons this time; Spirit ST to be precise. They were about $35 less than the Dunlops, which I like. I sure hope I like these Avons

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I think you will like the Avon tyres.

I have them on my 1982 CX500 and they handle very well and have good road feel etc.

The only gripe I have with Avon tyres is that they can “scallop/cup” quite badly. If this happens on the front tyre you can get bad steering shake if you take your hands off the handle bars.

I believe the way to prevent scalloping is to ensure your tyre pressures are always at the maximum or a little higher.

Seagrass

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I had Avon Storms on my NT for about 4 years, grip was good but the tire life was so-so, their compound is soft. The NT is relatively heavy for a 700cc bike, which does the tires no favors. Most of the secondary roads I ride around here have been resurfaced with pea gravel and oil, it's kinda like riding on sandpaper, that might wear the tires faster too.

I've not had good tire life on the NT. Currently using Continentals, better results with those in regards to tire life, but they're harder rubber than the Avons.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree with the others. I'd rate the Avon Storm with most all the premium tires out there. Grip and ride are excellent. Tread wear is average. The front tire cupped a little but no worse than any other of the tires I've had. The only tire that I've had good tread life for me were the Bridgestone T30s. But with the improved tread life came less grip and a harsher ride.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
The only cupping I've ever experienced was with the factory mounted originals. I too have bad luck with wear on all my tires; mostly because riding on these rural Texas Farm to Market roads is like riding on sharpened diamonds

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I'm finding the Continentals to be good right up to, and a little past, the wear bars, even at that point front cupping is minimal and grip is still good, best luck I've had with a tire brand on the NT so far. They're a rather hard compound though, and somewhat harsh ride at temps below 50 degrees. The sidewalls are quite thick which makes installing them somewhat difficult, gotta warm them up as much as possible, I put them on my paved driveway for a couple hours prior to install. The ones I'm running now are the Road Attack 3's

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My only experience with Avon was back in sixties/early seventies. They were the best rain tire going and also superb when dry but their rubber compound was so soft, the short lifespan was an issue for me. This time around I have been extremely happy with the Dunlop Roadsmart 2&3's both in handling and wear. I can easily get 15K from the rear and 20K from the front.

Mike

Top Bottom