New BMW R1200RS

I love the looks of the new BMW R1200RS. Especially in gray and black. Seems a model targeted at the type of rider who gravitates to the NT.

Then I read a very thoughtful owner review posted on the R1200RS Forum site:

http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/here-is-my-long-and-detailed-rs-owner-review.325/

As I read through the things you have to adapt to (keyless ride system, shift assist pro, modes and buttons) I kept thinking, "don't want that, don't want that." Of course, lots more power than the NT. But in most other categories, doesn't seem to do anything much better than the NT, and a number of things not as well. All for over $18K before farkles.

So just to reiterate a point made many times on this forum: the NT may not be perfect but its a great bike for the right rider!

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Major horsepower discrepancy is simple. Factory figures are measured from the crank. MCN figures are measured at the rear wheel.

8% speedo error in a modern bike with a modern ECU and ABS is pitiful. My FJR shows a +1 to +2 mph error up to about 100 mph (about as fast as I have been with a GPS mounted) with stock sized T30 GT's.

And a power windshield is absolutely no problem to deal with. And . . . it would be kind of nice if the bike came with a centerstand.

Top Bottom