New Denali LED lights

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I downloaded the Twisted Throttle catalog and found Denali D2 LED lights....new model.
They claim they are 70% brighter than the first version lights, and they are round.
Also says they are dimmable, but not clear if they dim to 50% only or can be dimmed gradually. No info on their website yet....at least not any I can find.

Price $349.99..... I might spring for these if I find the stock light not being as good as I need it. (Still have not tried my new NV700 yet.)

freezingalaskan

OP
OP
freezingalaskan
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I think the catalog stated the power draw to be the same as the original Denali LED lights.... The lights also seem to be a bit smaller, maybe mostly because of their round design.

freezingalaskan

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think the catalog stated the power draw to be the same as the original Denali LED lights.... The lights also seem to be a bit smaller, maybe mostly because of their round design.

freezingalaskan
The way I read the catalog about the D-2's power draw is that they each draw 10W. The original Denalis draw 10W / pair.

About your headlights: I found that mine were pointing way too far down. I cranked them up about as far as they go and with them and the Denalis, I get a good view out 7-8/tenths of a mile. The high beams + the Denalis punch out a bit farther than the low beams and the Denalis.

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I never was a fan of the square housing, the round look much better, less bulky. Also they feature wider lenses on both euro and fog beam. The wattage still isn't bad at 20W, regardless, the amperage draw is still ridiculously low! I love the fact that these will hook up to the high beams for 100% brightness, and 50% with low beam.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Remember that I installed a Kisan Charge Guard on my NT last week? Coming home in the dark in a cold wind, I learned that we're pushing our alternator capacity pretty close to the limit. Or at least, I am. I had: 55W lowbeam headlight, 95W FirstGear heated jacket, 10W Denali's, ??W heated handlebars turned up to high. The Kisan just sat there showing 14-14.2V.

If I added 55 more watts with hight beam, voltage dropped to 13. If I turned the hand grips down from high to the middle or lower, the voltage went back up to 14-14.2V.

BTW, have any of you who have the Hondaline heated grips noticed that they have a built in low-voltage warning system. When voltage drops below 14, the indicator lights on the grips starts to blink, faster the farther below 14.0 volts you go.

Thanks to Wayne for informing me that the Hondaline Heated Grips have a 3.5A fuse, so probably pull around 50W. Adding it all up then:

55 W lowbeam
55 W highbeam
10 W Denalis
5 W handgrips
95 W jacket

Last edited:

elizilla

I installed a Flash2Pass garage door opener, that opens the garage door when you flash the brights twice. I used a posi-tap on a wire I found going into one of the plugs on the left side of the bike, just above the tipover wing where all the wires in the bike meet up. Can't recall the color but I was able to pick it out based on the wiring diagram in the shop manual, and confirm it with my multimeter.

elizilla

The Super Ten is great except I have yet to find any wire for the high beams. Not sure it has one - the high beam is actually managed by a mechanical shield that is raised and lowered. Not sure what to do about that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Not sure it has one - the high beam is actually managed by a mechanical shield that is raised and lowered. Not sure what to do about that.
That is how the OEM HIDs work on my wife's Ford Flex...you can hear them "clunk" when you flash the headlights... Can you get to the wire off the Hi / Low beam switch? And there is either a small motor or a solenoid to raise and lower the shutter in there somewhere you should be able to tap....

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have been around motorcycles for a long time and have never found the answer to this question, "Why do motorcycles have such wimpy alternators?" More and more electrical farkles hit the market each day--yet no manufacturer, to my knowledge has done anything.

elizilla

The NT's alternator is around 450w. It's been adequate to everything I have asked of it, but then I'm not running two full sets of heated gear - just a rider jacket and heated grips.

The ST1300 made a big splash when it arrived with a 700w alternator, IIRC.

My new Super10 is supposedly somewhere north of 600w, I understand. I'm sure it will do me just fine.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Damn, I've still got a set of the DN-1's new in the box that I now want to trade in for the DN-2 lights. I too like the round ones better. I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying them or if I can find a seller who will take them as a trade up.

Top Bottom