New guys asking for advice on mods, accessories for NT

mohonda

Hey guys,

I am anxious to learn all I can from you all about my NT. Is there any accessory or modification that you would recommend to a new rider? Any problems that I should know about? I have a 2010 700VA with stock everything, as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
First of all - welcome.

What accessory to add? That kinda depends on you. If your butt gets sore, you need to pad the seat or get a new one. Wind getting to you? You need a new windscreen. Don't like the forward lean riding position? You'll need risers. Need some more luggage/storage for long rides? Add a top case.

It all depends on you, but once you get an idea of what you want to change, this is the place to find out what to get. We will be more than happy to help you spend your money. :tongue:

tawilke46

I would agree. Ride the NT for a few hundred miles. Then you can make better decisions on modifications and how to prioritize them.

OP
OP

mohonda

I bought the bike primarily as a weekend trip bike, but I'm seeing the advantages of it as a commuter. I work about ten miles from my house and I've started driving it to work.

I should also add that my wife rides with me on weekend trips and would like a backrest, so that will probably be the first accessory I buy.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've not see a standalone backrest for the NT. Most people mount a top box and some of those have an optional backrest pad for passenger comfort.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Welcome. IMHO you have found the perfect bike for your needs. The NT shines as a commuter and trip bike. Great around town with good legs for longer distances.

So, would weekend trips mean overnight stays someplace? If so, a trunk might be a good one to add. It would also double as a backrest for your wife. I still dislike how most trunks look, but, they are (IMHO) the best method of carrying stuff I have found. A bonus on day rides is you can lock your helmets in there when parked for a while.

I suspect you may want to get a seat upgrade if riding any distances but try yours out first. Many like the stock seat.

As you ride it you'll find what you want to change.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Look at the top of the page and you will see Reviews and How-To buttons. Both of those are good place to start looking at what mods other folks have done to their bike.

kenstone

Welcome
I suggest you work on the ergo's 1st, adding risers under the bars is a popular mod, rotate the levers to the most comfortable position, as well as adjusting the shifter and brake pedal for ease of use by you.

Another popular mod, "shortening" the rear shock by replacing the upper eye, to lower the seat height.

Check the usual stuff too, tires, tire presure, fluids, etc.

Ken

Bike
2009, Bla NT700 Deauville
I don't like top box, coz then on around 65mph bike starts to get a little bit wobbly, so prefer a XL size panniers.
I can load a hlaf of my wardrobe in them. Plus I use a tank bag, there is all what I can need straight away, like camera, wallet, water, etc
Plus I bought on ebay phone holder. Things like gel seat insert is good for long trips. But then again its for me, I know a few lads who hate them...
For a long trips in cold weather extended windscreen and heated grips is good as well.
And 12v socket is most important thing.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As an all season commuter heated hand grips head my list. A top box is the most convenient for carrying my work stuff. Also 1" up and 1" back bar risers.
For weekend touring the Honda big lids come in handy as does the Sargent seat for comfort and a throttle lock and cramp buster.
Other items that I like are the gear position indicator, fenda extenda, power outlet for plugging in a battery tender or electric tire pump and a GPS mount.
As others have said ride your NT for awhile before purchasing a lot of accessories that might not suit your needs.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't like top box, coz then on around 65mph bike starts to get a little bit wobbly, so prefer a XL size panniers
I've had top-boxes on both of my Concours and now on the NT. I am almost always riding at speeds above 65 what with Colorado's 65mph limit on two lanes and 75mph limits on divided highways. I've had the NT to triple-digit speeds several times, cruised across I-10 from California to Texas at speeds of 80-85, and I've never noticed the top-box contributing to any instability.

When I got my first one, I thought I'd either use it or the panniers of my Concours, but learned that both the pannier and the top-box had advantages for carrying different sizes and kinds of "stuff." I've never taken the top-box off for a ride. I did buy the UK-available big pannier lids (three sets of them, as a matter of fact), but I've quit worrying about scratching them and won't replace the ones I've got until/if I break one.

Davidsilver.com can get them for you if they don't have them in stock without the big cost of shipping from the UK.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree with Phil about the top box and aerodynamics. If you compare back to back with and without then you can notice a VERY slight 'weave' at highway speeds. But, at speeds over 80 it kinda goes away. And had mine over 110 a couple of times and a couple of 30 minute stretches over 100mph. Solid as a rock. And, I think if you add a passenger you won't get the weave at all.

OP
OP

mohonda

Thanks, everyone. Got some really good suggestions to ponder while I save up some cash.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I completely agree with Phil's assessment on the top box. I have the Honda OEM top case and I've never experienced the wobbling alluded to. I bought it when I bought the bike and paid dearly. If I had it to do over, I'd go with the Givi V-46 case. It's extremely better crafted than any of the others that sell for much less. For me, the extra cost of the larger pannier lids is not worth the cost.

If you are going to ride any distances, a new seat is a must. Corbin, Sargent, Ricks Custom seats, and Russell are the popular choices. IMHO Russell and Ricks are the best.

Be careful with going with a larger windshield right away. Even though it's much quieter with a tall windshield, the bigger the screen the more it acts like a sail in wind and traffic.
turbulence.

Take your time and figure out how you ride it the most, how the machine responds to your skill/comfort level, and how your body feels when and after riding distances and that will help you prioritize.
Len

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I also like extra lighting. I added Denali driving lights.
Before I would spend money though, check the aim of the NT's headlight. Many have found adjusting the headlamp helps a lot.

Brad

Bike
Silver NT700V
My list is similar to Paul's.

Handlebar Risers (1" up X 1" back from Twisted Throttle)
Cramp Buster (use is so automatic now I REALLY notice if is missing)
Denali D2 Aux driving lights (Twisted Throttle, these help a LOT in the visibility department, especially commuting)
Top Case (JC Whitney, trunk and some ACE Hardware items to mount it ran $125 total, works great)
Tank Bag (Bags Connection City from Twisted Throttle)
Russel Day Long saddle (I recommend riding a while to get the feel first, then try Spencer's Great Day To Ride, it could save you a TON of money)
Laminar Lip (much easier to install than a wind screen and solves the buffeting for about $100)

As some one said earlier, ergonomics first. That means the adjustment of handlebars and seat. The Spencer mod is great. I used it on a Suzuki GS500F (first bike) and was able to get up above 500 mile days on the little 500cc bike before moving to the NT.

Good luck, and of course,

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
OK, if we're sharing our lists, here's mine:

Motorcycle Larry: Bar risers, peg-lowerers, Throttlemeister

Honda: Wind deflectors, heated grips, Big lids and undercowl(from UK)

Twisted Throttle: Denali D1 driving lights, Givi Maxia top-box (w/Admore lights that didn't work for long -- need to get back together with TT to clear that up), Bags Connection tank-bags (the City Bag and the Daypack for different uses)

Fenda-extenda

Russell DayLong saddle (probably the most important mod)

Rofstra electronic cruise control (nearly neck-and-neck with the Russell for long rides on all the straight roads east of here)

Headlight protector (imported from Australia by Forum Member KathyL)

CeeBailey +4" windscreen

[Waiting to mounted]:

Tire pressure monitor

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
In addition to all the others, Russell is a #1 priority , also for more comfort a Helie Bars risor gives you 2 inches higher and 3 inches bacckwhich will provide seating very similar to that of a Gold wing. Hepco / Becker tank guards will provide a stable mounting area for good Kuryakin freeway pegs . The Steeble Air Horn is a good idea , not that much money and is very useful when some dumb A-- is on a cell ph , or putting on makeup, or reading a book as they drive down the freeway! And that is not by any means all of the various distractions actions out there on the slab on any given day or time. I have seen just about anything you can remotely imagine from setting behind the steering wheel of a big truck for around 2 million miles!

Top Bottom