New Honda Africa Twin

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have no idea if this will be released in the US or not. Its a 1,000 cc parallel twin

"Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Optional specialized off-road biased Dual-Clutch Transmission

Having clearly shown the direction of its development and intent with the reveal of the True Adventure prototype at EICMA in November 2014, Honda has officially announced the long expected return of one of motorcycling?s most celebrated and evocative names ? the Africa Twin."

Looks like nearly everybody is leaving the sport touring niche and jumping into the ADV niche. And I suspect that, just like SUV's, the majority will never leave the pavement.

A neighbour has just bought a 1200GS with all the toys. LED headlights, traction control, electronic suspension et al.

I had a good look at it last night and it's a very nice bike. And so it should be for 20,500€ OTR in France.

He'll never take it off-road but I can see it's potential for filtering in traffic - High seat position, imposing looks etc. Might go and look at one in a Dealer's

You don't have to be north of 6' to suffer...

I'm only 5'8" (30" in seam) and I have problems with my left knee.

Seat to foot peg is one place where the Super10 beats the R1200GS. By a lot. It's amazing that a bike as tall as the GS, should fold the rider's legs that tight. The Super10's pegs are lower, which makes it MUCH more comfortable.

Of course for some people the crazy high pegs are advantage - they allow for more extreme lean angles when they go out jousting with the sportbikes.

And I'm stunned that they'd bring the Africa Twin to the USA. Doesn't Honda have a corporate policy that adventure bikes aren't allowed here?

Seat to foot peg distance becomes a critical dimension as knee cartilage deteriorates, especially for those of us once on the north side of 6'.

Hmmm please elucidate a little more please. As someone who is just getting used to having knee problems ( torn cartilage/operation/extensive arthritus found) I am still trying to work out which direction any adjustments to seating position are best. So are you saying more or less distance between footpeg and seat is best.

raybob;13137 Does that help?[/QUOTE said:
Yes thankyou. It confirms my suspicions that a lesser angle will hurt less when changing gear. I shall look into the footpeg height and saddle height ( I have a spare saddle to play with. So I shall experiment with pads fixed on top to see if it makes a difference.)Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

I doubt if the Africa Twin is going to be my bike of choice, even though it would be very interesting. The main reason I probably won't get one of the big adventure bikes is because my legs are short. I'm 5'8" with about a 28" inseam and even my NT with its Russell DayLong won't let me flatfoot both feet. I've had five knee replacements and my right leg is about 3/4" shorter than the left and it only bends 84-degrees.

I've got Motorcycle Larry peg lowerers and I'm comfortable on the bike. I've tried sitting on VFRs and can't get my right foot onto the footpeg.

I doubt if the Africa Twin is going to be my bike of choice, even though it would be very interesting. The main reason I probably won't get one of the big adventure bikes is because
who wants a heavy pig to ride off road?

Seat to foot peg distance becomes a critical dimension as knee cartilage deteriorates, especially for those of us once on the north side of 6'.

Wait. Was that 6' or 60 years?

For years I have thought that knees are good for 70 years or 70,000 miles. And I am pretty high mileage.

Just returned from Florence Italy this past Sunday. What an array of motorcycles the Europeans have, puts us to shame. Of course, so many there use their motos for commuting as well as recreation and touring. I wish we had half the choices they do.

Looks like nearly everybody is leaving the sport touring niche and jumping into the ADV niche. And I suspect that, just like SUV's, the majority will never leave the pavement.

As an owner of two dual sports, i can say that it seems like this true most of the time. However, I can say that I have willingly taken both places that I would have never even thought about taking my old NT or a bike like an FJR. The DR650 has been in rougher stuff, like really rough jeep trails and sand roads in Utah and Colorado. I only acquired the triumph tiger in January, but even in riding it around my local area it has already been on rough roads that would easily bottom out the NT suspension. My favorite local riding roads are poorly maintained county roads that were down right rough traveling on the NT. They are a joy and comfortable to ride on the dual sports. Also, as others have mentioned in this thread, the seating position and knee angle is much better for me. In the same way you buy a bicycle that fits you some of us with long legs like fitment.

The "SUV" analogy doesn't quite work for motorcycles either because both of my bikes get the same or better gas mileage than the NT and other sport tourers, are lighter weight, and have tighter turn clearances. My DR650 is cheap and easy to maintain myself. There are many reasons these bikes appeal to motorcycles beyond the ability to go off road.

I have only just passed 1500 miles on my Tiger. I am still amazed by it. I find it easier to ride than the NT. It gets the same mileage, but makes 1/3 more HP. There is no clunking on gear changes, even on the neutral to first downshift. I continue to be amazed by the bike.

I imagine the new Africa Twin will be very nice as well.

So, if I could have the wind protection and lower seat height of my Goose (or the NT) with the compliant suspension of an adv bike, then I might be convinced to get one. I just don't like the high seat height and lack of wind protection. And, yes, I have tried most of them (Suz, Yam, Tri, Bmw, MG).

I do ride a dirt road every now and then (not counting my 200ft, 15% grade dirt and gravel driveway) with the Goose and it does fine (as did the NT). If I need more ground clearance I am on the wrong road :)

Back
Top Bottom