New Honda bikes for Japanese domestic market

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

My guess is after the inline-4 models are discontinued, the next generation of midsize sport bikes from Honda will have parallel twin engines.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

My guess is after the inline-4 models are discontinued, the next generation of midsize sport bikes from Honda will have parallel twin engines.
That seems like that would be the logical strategy. The small fours, while sexy, put Honda at a price disadvantage vs the competition.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
That seems like that would be the logical strategy. The small fours, while sexy, put Honda at a price disadvantage vs the competition.

Mike
This is Honda responding to market realities and more stringent emissions regs, the small bore long stroke parallel twins are easier to manufacture and more fuel efficient, the NC/CTX twins come to mind. All ICE manufacturers are currently pushing efficiencies, friction reduction, DI, tiny turbos, etc to meet regulations and increase MPG.

As Mike says, Honda has to compete, this is a smart move on Honda's part.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
rc_heli-nut - Only the NC series has undersquare engines: NC700 @ 73 x 80 and NC750 @ 77 x 80.

The CB500 series is almost square @ 67 x 66.8 and the Africa Twin is oversquare @ 92 x 81.5. You are probably correct in assuming that longer stroke seems to be the trend, at least for Honda motorcycles. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
I read the article. Then I watched a youtube video of one. Then I sent this email to my son. The little guy pictured in other posts sitting on a Yamaha YL1 at age 2.

You should hear a 350 4 in person at least once before you die. You should see the insides of that engine. Like a tiny jewel box full of the most beautiful jewels you will ever see. You want to stand with a valve clutched in your hand, your eyes closed, and just feel the life in that little piece of metal!

Yes, the engine “burbles” at idle. It is at IDLE. That thing wants to RUN. Watch the video. Read the article. Watch the video again. Weep for things past and things lost. Then, go listen to a Tesla and puke.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/588081/honda-cb400-super-four-2022/

Last edited by a moderator:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I read the article. Then I watched a youtube video of one. Then I sent this email to my son. The little guy pictured in other posts sitting on a Yamaha YL1 at age 2.

You should hear a 350 4 in person at least once before you die. You should see the insides of that engine. Like a tiny jewel box full of the most beautiful jewels you will ever see. You want to stand with a valve clutched in your hand, your eyes closed, and just feel the life in that little piece of metal!

Yes, the engine “burbles” at idle. It is at IDLE. That thing wants to RUN. Watch the video. Read the article. Watch the video again. Weep for things past and things lost. Then, go listen to a Tesla and puke.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/588081/honda-cb400-super-four-2022/
So many nice Honda 4s.....

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The modern Honda 4s are much, much nicer than the old ones such as the '73 CB350-4.

I rode a CB-1 (56 HP) many years ago when it was new and was really impressed with the difference because I had also had experience on the CB400-4 (37 HP) from the mid-70s which many claim was Honda's first true sport bike. Fuel injection plus digital ignition really changed the character of the small-4 and where previously you always had to be in the correct gear, now the bike just pulled away without protest because you were in too high a gear. Try that on the older one and the engine would shake once or twice then die!

Unfortunately, while immensely popular in Japan, the US is big bore country and bikes with dinky engines aren't popular even it they can hit almost 100 MPH in the 1/4 mile!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I restored a 1973 CB30F in 2006. It was the bike that got me riding again after 20 years of other hobbies. It was perfect and 100% original. Rebuilt and balanced 3 carb sets and used the best one. Had the original 4into4 exhaust, even had a spare set. Sold it 2012, and it might be the one I regret selling the most. Looked great, ran better, sounded amazing, no vibes at any rpm.

Unlike the video above mine idled at a far lower speed (I think 1200, maybe less) and didn't burble at all. Couldn't feel the engine at idle, and often thought it had died when it hadn't. Without a doubt the best sounding bike I've had at speed. I took it >90 mph several times, over 100 mph a few times.

Lots of old articles say the 350 twin had more power or was faster, and the 350Four was just more expensive and not capable of >100 mph. Mine was amazing and loved revving it up and had no problems with 100mph. Pulled strong and smooth at any rpm.

1654903559634.png

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A beautiful restoration!

As for the CB400 twin vs CB400-4, my guess would be that higher manufacturing costs + many additional parts made the decision at Honda.

I’m glad that Suzuki has invested the money to make their street oriented 2022 Hayabusa and GSXS liter bikes Euro 5 compliant and continue to sell them in the U.S.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think Japan may have my new touring bike for when I am 80
Kanae.jpg
I restored a 1973 CB30F in 2006. It was the bike that got me riding again after 20 years of other hobbies. It was perfect and 100% original. Rebuilt and balanced 3 carb sets and used the best one. Had the original 4into4 exhaust, even had a spare set. Sold it 2012, and it might be the one I regret selling the most. Looked great, ran better, sounded amazing, no vibes at any rpm.

Unlike the video above mine idled at a far lower speed (I think 1200, maybe less) and didn't burble at all. Couldn't feel the engine at idle, and often thought it had died when it hadn't. Without a doubt the best sounding bike I've had at speed. I took it >90 mph several times, over 100 mph a few times.

Lots of old articles say the 350 twin had more power or was faster, and the 350Four was just more expensive and not capable of >100 mph. Mine was amazing and loved revving it up and had no problems with 100mph. Pulled strong and smooth at any rpm.

1654903559634.png
As beautiful as your bike was and hopefully is, my heart is still in a 400
1655350785694.png

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Definitely two... I've never seen a bike with a side stand as far back as the one between her feet. Bad Photoshop job maybe?
If you look closely, there's another stand on the right hand side of the bike even with the 2nd side stand on the left side of the bike. I'll bet you can use the two rear stands as a center stand. The bike would be easy to put on both them.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Does your new touring bike have two sidestands? Or are my old eyes playing tricks on me?

Mike
One has to wonder with such a light bike tricked out as a tourer, maybe it could actually fall over if the rear cases were loaded too heavily with one side stand down? There is a good book called, "I see by my outfit" by Peter S. Beagle about two young people who cross america in 1963 on two scooters that might on a good day top out at 60 mph. I wonder what the usable cruise speed of a current 125 is?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you look closely, there's another stand on the right hand side of the bike even with the 2nd side stand on the left side of the bike. I'll bet you can use the two rear stands as a center stand. The bike would be easy to put on both them.
I saw that stand also. I assumed it was the center stand based upon the foot pads.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Does your new touring bike have two sidestands? Or are my old eyes playing tricks on me?
Me thinks accessory to cope with the large top-case/load... 3 pizzas in there would overturn the thing in no time...

Back OT: still have two CB500/4 projects in the shed awaiting resurrection...

Suzuki is still flying the I4 banner with their euro 5 compliant GSXS liter naked and sport tourer not to mention the Hayabusa. I really was hoping Honda would do something special with nice street going four as a good bye to what put Honda over the top but sadly no.

Top Bottom