New Honda Crossrunner

The two piece seat reminds me of the NC700 - which is to say uncomfortable at best. Look cool, feel - not so good.

This is basically a 6th gen VFR in adventure touring drag. I think it would be fabulous, for a bike with a chain. But it's not the kind of thing that makes it to our shores.

Seat, ehhhh, that's the last thing I'd worry about. Everyone changes them anyway.

It has been around for a while, and getting better it looks like. If i were in the market it might tempt me to get a bike with a chain. Egad...I can't believe I just said that!!! :D

If it got here, it's a bike I'd be interested in. ... Even with the chain.

I don't mind the chain because it's external and easily serviced. The VFR800 engine has had V-Tech (variable valve timing) for more than a decade and it was never a popular feature because it requires camshaft removal during valve adjustment. Yes, the inspection intervals are probably long but still, it's not a pleasant experience. There was no mention of it having V-Tech or not having it.

For me chains are a big negative deal. I have owned dozens of motorcycles that had chains including modern chains and I still would rather have a shaft or at least a belt drive. When you ride everyday and do not have a garage chain care is a pain that I can live without.

I am not in the market for this type of motorcycle but I do wonder why Honda who has adventure motorcycles will not export one to the US. Every other major manufacture other than Harley is selling an adventure bike in the US except Honda. Perhaps they view the segment as to small and oversaturated with competing brands but I would think that would be the same case in other countries.

In Refernce to the valve adjustment, it is possible theat Honda has came up with a better idea. They do have the technology available to have a shim adjustment with out removing the cam!! I finaly received my factory service manual for my CRF250L; reading it regarding valve adjustment they have changed the system to allow shim replacement if valves are out of spech , you only have to slide the rocker sideways and use a magnet , or tweezers to remove the shim!!I knew it was a shim valed engine when I bought it , but it was a happy surprise to find out about the ease of the adjustments,

In Refernce to the valve adjustment, it is possible theat Honda has came up with a better idea. They do have the technology available to have a shim adjustment with out removing the cam!! I finaly received my factory service manual for my CRF250L; reading it regarding valve adjustment they have changed the system to allow shim replacement if valves are out of spech , you only have to slide the rocker sideways and use a magnet , or tweezers to remove the shim!!I knew it was a shim valed engine when I bought it , but it was a happy surprise to find out about the ease of the adjustments,

Called Shim Over Bucket, vs. Shim Under Bucket. My old KLR used Shim Over Bucket. My ST1300 and Wee use Shim Under Bucket.

[They do have the technology available to have a shim adjustment with out removing the cam!]

Your CRF250 doesn't have V-Tech so it's a whole bunch easier.

With Shim over bucket, you will find the shims are larger in diameter the cam lobe makes contact with the shim. Where s shim under bucket the cam lobe makes contact with the top of the bucket. Here is an example of the shims. Left shim is Shim over bucket (KLR) right Shim is Shim under bucket (ST1300) and the second & third picture is my first valve check/change on my ST1300. Another story in it's self for another day. If you change shims on a shim over bucket design place the shim with the #s (thickness size) down so the cam does not wear the #s off.

Attachments

• SAM_3719.jpg
    SAM_3719.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 15
  • resize PDR_0306.jpg
    resize PDR_0306.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 14
  • resize PDR_0305.jpg
    resize PDR_0305.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back