New member picking up bike in two days

Gru

My first nt 700 v, had lots of Honda‘s and other bikes. So tell me what am I in for………good, bad or in between.
currently have:Moto Guzziv85, v100, v7, BMW R1150 RS, and BMW r75/5 side car rig. Looking forward to a smaller touring bike. Living in Texas, I worry aboutengine heat, and coolant temperature. How is the suspension, and cornering. I know they don’t have lots of power, but I’m sure it’s enough to get down the road. So some comments please.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad to have you join the group. Lots of good solid info here.
The NT is a good mostly trouble free ride. Like you said not the most powerful bike out there but it will get you down the road and back comfortably.
One downside are the pannier latches. They are a weak point that many have replaced with external latches. If you are not familiar with this issue do a little searching here.
Hope you enjoy the ride. So how many miles on yours?

Arknt

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Gru, welcome to our Forum! I think you need to ship me one of your current bikes just because you've got too many! :D

I've had two 2010 ABS NT's. I put 139K miles on #1, and have only put about 5K miles on #2. I bought "Horse," my #2 in 2020. It had been owned by a friend and he maintains his bikes about like he expected the USAF to maintain the KC-135s he drove for them. They were equipped almost identically. Both had been lowered, both had cruise controls, both had driving lights, the factory undercowl, big pannier lids. Beginning with Covid, I basically quit riding for about 3 years, partly because my wife was diagnosed with Altzheimer's disease. She died last September, and I've been back on the bike once, but plan on riding more in '24.

I had ridden an '83 Honda GL-650i Silverwing for about 20K miles before I bought my 1st new bike, a '99 Kawasaki Concours. I had two of those that I rode for 165K miles. I had seen a grand total of one NT before I bought my first one. It had been a 2008 in Mannheim, Germany, when I spent 20 days riding in western Europe. I had been fascinated by the NT650 before the NT700 came out. By 2010, I had had five knee replacements and the Concours was getting too heavy for me. I bought my NT in March of '10 and over the weekend of April 30-May 1, I rode the first ever Iron Butt certificate ride ever in the whole Western Hemisphere on an NT. :cool: Since then I've ridden another SS1K and a BBG. In '13, I retired and that summer took my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador." That was an 80 day, 21K mile jaunt.

I have ridden in temps from 13F-113F and I've never worried about temperature for the engine or coolant. I've also never burnt any oil on either of my bikes. I averaged about 46mpg on #1 and am averaging about 48mpg on Horse. The suspension has been fine for me and the bike corners well. I'm not a speed demon since I got old (81 in February), but I do ride in the mountains quite often. I live about 50 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park.

I've got external latches if the originals ever go out. The biggest maintenance issues I've had have been with final drives. I had two of them completely rebuilt after Honda mechanics neglected to grease the splines after having the rear wheels off for tire replacements. My rear shock went out about 100K on #1. I was up close to 300 pounds then and I'm down to 205 now which will probably extend shock life. I had some fork seals go in the first 50-60K miles, but then put fork gaitors from a mid-80's Triumph Bonneville on and haven't had any trouble like that since.

This is a picture of Horse:

Finally Almost Done.jpg

BTW, where in East Texas are you. I graduated from high school in Longview in '61, and lived in the state until '79.

OP
OP

Gru

Gru, welcome to our Forum! I think you need to ship me one of your current bikes just because you've got too many! :D

I've had two 2010 ABS NT's. I put 139K miles on #1, and have only put about 5K miles on #2. I bought "Horse," my #2 in 2020. It had been owned by a friend and he maintains his bikes about like he expected the USAF to maintain the KC-135s he drove for them. They were equipped almost identically. Both had been lowered, both had cruise controls, both had driving lights, the factory undercowl, big pannier lids. Beginning with Covid, I basically quit riding for about 3 years, partly because my wife was diagnosed with Altzheimer's disease. She died last September, and I've been back on the bike once, but plan on riding more in '24.

I had ridden an '83 Honda GL-650i Silverwing for about 20K miles before I bought my 1st new bike, a '99 Kawasaki Concours. I had two of those that I rode for 165K miles. I had seen a grand total of one NT before I bought my first one. It had been a 2008 in Mannheim, Germany, when I spent 20 days riding in western Europe. I had been fascinated by the NT650 before the NT700 came out. By 2010, I had had five knee replacements and the Concours was getting too heavy for me. I bought my NT in March of '10 and over the weekend of April 30-May 1, I rode the first ever Iron Butt certificate ride ever in the whole Western Hemisphere on an NT. :cool: Since then I've ridden another SS1K and a BBG. In '13, I retired and that summer took my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador." That was an 80 day, 21K mile jaunt.

I have ridden in temps from 13F-113F and I've never worried about temperature for the engine or coolant. I've also never burnt any oil on either of my bikes. I averaged about 46mpg on #1 and am averaging about 48mpg on Horse. The suspension has been fine for me and the bike corners well. I'm not a speed demon since I got old (81 in February), but I do ride in the mountains quite often. I live about 50 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park.

I've got external latches if the originals ever go out. The biggest maintenance issues I've had have been with final drives. I had two of them completely rebuilt after Honda mechanics neglected to grease the splines after having the rear wheels off for tire replacements. My rear shock went out about 100K on #1. I was up close to 300 pounds then and I'm down to 205 now which will probably extend shock life. I had some fork seals go in the first 50-60K miles, but then put fork gaitors from a mid-80's Triumph Bonneville on and haven't had any trouble like that since.

This is a picture of Horse:

Finally Almost Done.jpg

BTW, where in East Texas are you. I graduated from high school in Longview in '61, and lived in the state until '79.
Hi Phil, I live south of Woodville, and north of Beaumont. The bike has 26,000 miles, from the pictures on the net it looks pretty good, but one never knows. i will be 80 next month, so I have had lots of bikes. My side car rig is up for sale, and the v7 will be going soon, going to try to get down to three, but that will be hard, but for sure the sidecar will go, takes up too much room in the garage.

My first nt 700 v, had lots of Honda‘s and other bikes. So tell me what am I in for………good, bad or in between.
currently have:Moto Guzziv85, v100, v7, BMW R1150 RS, and BMW r75/5 side car rig. Looking forward to a smaller touring bike. Living in Texas, I worry aboutengine heat, and coolant temperature. How is the suspension, and cornering. I know they don’t have lots of power, but I’m sure it’s enough to get down the road. So some comments please.
Im new here too! Down sized from a 1100 to the 700. There are vids on utube about the pannier latches. Also, i looked at a 700 that had combination locks installed. Ill figure things out when i pick the bike up.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Im new here too! Down sized from a 1100 to the 700. There are vids on utube about the pannier latches. Also, i looked at a 700 that had combination locks installed. Ill figure things out when i pick the bike up.
Pop², welcome to the group! I'm sure that once you get your NT and get acclimated to it, you will love it. The only niggle that I have ever had with mine is the pannier latches.

Mike

Pop², welcome to the group! I'm sure that once you get your NT and get acclimated to it, you will love it. The only niggle that I have ever had with mine is the pannier latches.

Mike
Yea, been reviewing the latches on u tube. Thanks for the welcome and advice! Im coming off a st1100, so this change should be interesting! Planning bike meets as we speak!

Hey Pop Pop, Glad to see you over here. When do you get to pick up your bike.
Hey!!! Mellow recommended this page. Still paying the bike off but expect it sometime mid april. I owe very little on the bike and want them to hold the bike till the weather becomes more favorable. Hence, i owe them a few $$!
People crack me up! I tell them it is in mo, and they wonder how im going to get it home! Hell! 1000 mi? I wont even take my shoes off for that tour!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hey!!! Mellow recommended this page. Still paying the bike off but expect it sometime mid april. I owe very little on the bike and want them to hold the bike till the weather becomes more favorable. Hence, i owe them a few $$!
People crack me up! I tell them it is in mo, and they wonder how im going to get it home! Hell! 1000 mi? I wont even take my shoes off for that tour!
Whereabouts in MO?

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Twin city honda. Festus mo. Avout 40 mi s od st louis. Will b flying to st louis and finding my way to festus somehow.
I live about 50 miles from there. The dealership is about 50 miles from the airport. Are they picking you up at the airport? If not, Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the StL area and for sure in the Festus area. Rent an Enterprise car at the airport and turn it in in Festus. Enterprise has an office at 635 S. Truman Blvd, in Festus which is just a few miles from Twin City Honda. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Mike

I live about 50 miles from there. The dealership is about 50 miles from the airport. Are they picking you up at the airport? If not, Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the StL area and for sure in the Festus area. Rent an Enterprise car at the airport and turn it in in Festus. Enterprise has an office at 635 S. Truman Blvd, in Festus which is just a few miles from Twin City Honda. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Mike
Im from the city and am looking for some type of public trans there. Otherwise, its a uber.
thank you.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Im from the city and am looking for some type of public trans there. Otherwise, its a uber.
thank you.
Pop, St Louis is well known for its lousy public transportation. Believe me, an Enterprise car will be a hell of a lot cheaper than an Uber. I'll will send you a PM in a bit.

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Welcome both to the forum. I've had my 2010 since August of 2011, now have 92,000+ miles on it and still love the bike. Getting it prepared for another West trip this summer. Enjoy the ride.

Welcome both to the forum. I've had my 2010 since August of 2011, now have 92,000+ miles on it and still love the bike. Getting it prepared for another West trip this summer. Enjoy the ride.
That is exactly what i have in mind! Ive toured on a st 1100 and look forward to this summer, doing the same.
im looking at three stoc meets, and a bunch of rides id like to do again.
i sold my 1100 for a bunch of reasons, but i really do miss having a bike. So, i look forward to picking um my nt.

Top Bottom