New Michelin Pilot Road 4

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It will be awhile before I am ready to try them as we'll. I just had a new pair of PR3's put on a couple of weeks ago.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I will be ready but I am going to continue experimenting with different tires for longevity at the rear.
Unless Michelin has a big sale, my next tires will either be Pirellis or Dunlop RoadSmart II

So far I have gotten out of three rears:

BT020 6700
PR3 8800
BT023 6500 and counting

Front
BT020 6700
PR3 15000 and counting

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I will keep an eye on them. If PR3 is on sale then PR4 will be also. So I will see what price they have on them, if more than PR3 I doubt I will try them. Very happy with miles on PR3's, will probably be my tire. Trying out a Dunlop Roadsmart2 on front for first time. Front BT020- 14,406, BT023- 18,168, PR3- 22,119, a Rdsmart2 on front now................Rear BT020- 10,559, BT023- 10,803, PR3- 13,739, Rdsmart2- 11,578 , second PR3 on now. Sorry, my enter key won't allow for me to put in columns. I would not be ready to try a PR4 until next fall, have another PR3 front & rear waiting in garage.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I may be ready for a rear by next spring if the weather lets me ride back and forth to Rocky Ford. That's 400+ a weekend.

So my question to all you who have used multiple tire brands - is there a difference in handling between the BT023 and the PR3's? Thanks, Wendell

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its probably a subjective question since none if us has a scientific way to measure handling. I have used both and I would say in my opinion the PR3 is in all aspects other than price a slightly better tire for use on the NT.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
So my question to all you who have used multiple tires brands - is there a difference in handling between the BT023 and the PR3's? Thanks, Wendell
My experience: BT023 is a good tire, slightly less grip, wear attributes, and a lot less miles(at least on front). Look at my tire mileage above. PR3 for the slightly higher price, get better grip handling, and mileage, per paid tire change, lets you go farther.............. But I do my own tire changes, still more miles before I need to take off tires!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
BIKE magazine (my favorite motorcycle publication; it comes from the UK) for a year or two rated tires. When they did, they picked the PR3 as their favorite sport-touring tire, giving it (IIRC) four stars. The BT-023 had been their favorite before the PR3 was introduced, and they liked the Roadsmart 2 almost as well as the PR3. Their specific comments about the PR3 was relative to its amazing (their choice of words, not mine) wet grip. They'd tested these tires on skidpads and when the skidpad was soaked, they were still able to get a knee down with the PR3. They apparently couldn't do that with the others.

When I was in northern Newfoundland, I had a woman pull out in front of me on a wet road in the rain. I did not squeeze the front brake as per all riding instruction; I grabbed that sucker. My front PR3 had 15,000 miles on it at the time and it, combined with the ABS, allowed me to stop about 2 feet from her right rear fender with no slip at all. I don't think another tire or a bike without ABS would have saved my bacon on that one.

I followed the lady to the next little store (it wasn't hard, she was only doing about 25mph) and asked her if she knew how close she'd come to making me go down. Of course she hadn't seen me. I suggested she get in the habit of looking. She was flabbergasted and told me that her husband rides a motorcycle. I told her the next time he might be the person she took out.

I believe in PR3s. And ABS.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
How will the new PR4 stack up against the PR3?
Chris, don't you figure it's gotta' be at least a little bit better? Otherwise, they'd still be making prototype tires and spending lots of time on the test track.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Am I missing something or PR4 do not come in the rear size for the NT. Maybe the don't have the listed yet.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Just put new PR3 Trail's on the Explorer last Friday! By the time I'm ready for a new set, the PR4's will have been on the market a little while so I can check the feedback and see what people think about them. I'm still not even clear what the difference is between the PR3 and the PR3 "Trail." They look exactly the same and Michelin just says the Trails are for "big adv bikes." Revzilla didn't have PR3's in stock in my tire size, but they had the Trails so I went with it. Price was the same IIRC.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Their web site says that the distribution of 2CT componds are optimized for adventure touring in the trail PR3

Top Bottom