New NT owner break-in & ownership tips?

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Hey everyone,

Not quite sure where to post this thread but here goes. A new NT owner (and rider) here and looking for new bike break-in and general tips and advice that fall outside of the manual and dealer recommended maintenance plan (easy enough to follow).

Any thoughts from experienced riders & NT owners are most definitely welcome - and I also welcome and prefer not to learn the hard way if at all possible. :)

Thanks,

- Gabe

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Gabe:

Welcome to the group and congrats on your new NT! Whether you realize it or not, you are now a member of a pretty exclusive fraternity as you won't see NT's on every street corner. Only a few of us <ahem!> more discerning riders know the true beauty of this bike. Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual and enjoy! You have one of the most bullet-proof bikes out there. You have also joined a very knowledgable forum here and everyone is more than pleased to help a fellow NT owner.

Welcome aboard!

Mike

taldric

Welcome Gabe. Are you new to motorcycle riding, or just to the NT?

My recommendations are to keep the RPMs fairly low for the first 600 miles, and get the valves checked when the manual says to for the first two intervals (at least). Change the oil when it says to. Keep the tire pressure checked.

The NT really is a good solid bike. You don't have to worry too much about it mechanically.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Gabe,
Try motorcycleinfo.calsci.com. This site covers break in, oils, and just about anything you need to know. I used their break in procedure. My NT has 5000 miles on the clock and runs like a dream.

maverick1062a

I would recommend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Everyone I've talked to, whether experienced or not, has had good things to say about the course. msf-usa.org

1)The stainless steel exhaust isn't,
2)The whine you hear on decleration is normal,
3)The Bridgestones ain't gonna last long,
4)Consider changing the rear oil early; it looks as bad as ST rear oil,
5)You might want to see just how precious checking those valves at the local shop will be and act accordingly,
6)There is no tool kit in U.S. models,
7)Have fun!

PS: MSF course asap.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm not sure that you need to worry too much about keeping the rpms real low for the first 600 miles. I've heard that more important is to vary rpms and not spend much time at higher rpms until you've got that 600 miles behind you.

I took mine up to 105 on the way home from the dealer but didn't stay there at all. I've got nearly 40,000 miles on it and it doesn't use oil or have any mechanical issues.

It's a great bike for me after 165K on two '99 Kawasaki Concours. You'll like it!

I think you'll also like this Forum.

Welcome!

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Hey everyone, thank you for the variety of responses and advice! To answer a few questions, I am new to riding - recently completed the MSF course about 3 weeks ago, brought home the new 2011 NT last Friday (1 mile on her - affectionately named "Alice" for my new introduction to riding wonderland). I put 25 miles on her on Saturday through the neighborhood and local church parking lot (would have done more if not for cold/rainy weather).

Glad to hear the maintenance is relatively low, I've heard some horror stories on other & older bikes, but rest assured I will show Alice the due attention she deserves and already highlighting important items in the owners manual. :)

Thanks all!

- Gabe

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Falcon - Thanks for the tip!

I'm trying to get in the habit of checking over everything from head to toe and will make a note to get a portable air-pressure gauge (I don't trust the ones at the gas station near me). Fortunately my commute is about 5 miles to work one way so with a little luck, they'll last a bit longer. Speaking of tires, is there a brand & model you might recommend perchacne? Maybe something with less slippage than the OEM tires and still performs well in wet weather? I don't mind paying more if I know they'll last and do well in weather.

Thanks,

- Gabe

Bike
Silver NT700V
Welcome to the forum. For tire, I got 12,500 miles on the OEM set. That said, I am a gentle rider and monitor the pressures regularly. I replaced with Bridgestone BT23s and have about 12,000 miles on those with a few more to go. Another set getting good reviews on the forum is Michelin PR3s.

Good luck with your riding. Start slow and work up to distances. Commuting helps a lot as htere is no substitute for "seat time".

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My biggest complaint about the OEM tires was their lack of longevity. I replaced them at 6,000 miles and the front might have gone to 8,000, but since I was leaving on a 4,000 mile trip, it didn't make sense to wait.

The BT-023s lasted a bit longer for me, and were an improvement in feel and perceived traction.

I've got the PR3s now and like them a lot. I hope to get more mileage, but I like the feel and the feeling of traction in the wet....what little wet we've had out here.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Aaron,

I think you mean "valve check at 600 miles", not "valve check at 600K." 600,000 miles is a long time.

Your dealer may be right about not needing to do the 600-mile check. But if he's not, ask him if your warranty is still valid. Whether you check valves or not at that interval, it's a good idea to do the 600-mile oil and filter change.

And why do you suppose Honda, which has a lot to lose if 8,000 miles is too long an oil-change interval, recommends an 8,000 mile oil-change interval. I think I'd be inclined to do things (at least in the beginning) the way the manufacturer and its engineers think they ought to be done.

Just my opinion.

But then I'm the guy who bought an NT and immediately made lots of changes to it.

And the guy who likes it anyway. :)

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
Welcome.

Glad to see you took the MSF course ... as told to me when I joined the forum ... keep practicing.

I would recommend that you purchase the service manual even if you are not planning on servicing the bike yourself. I have only been an NT owner for about 4 months now and have found it helpful.

I purchased mine used with about 10K miles on her, and recently purchased the Michelin PR3s. What a difference, I really like them.

Hope you enjoy "Alice" as much as I have enjoyed my bike.

Top Bottom