New Owner

Hi All,
Bought a 2010 NT two days ago. 18k miles. Silver, in IL. Seems to run good. Where I do I start to get smart on the bike?

Tuchango

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad to have you here.
Good to soak up info on this forum. Lots of good info and people here.
NT is good solid bike. Pannier latches are frail but they are fixable.
What kind of riding do you plan to do? What is your riding history?

Arknt

OP
OP
Tuchango
Hi thanks,

New rider, 41 years old. Completed BRC and this is my first bike. Commuting is primary:12 miles round trip.

New rider....ok. This board has a ton of info just for your bike. Just review the old posts as you have time. As for general bike riding, listen to riders that have been around for a long time and that don't brag about doing stupid things. I'd like to pass on my favorite 2 pieces of advice. #1 NEVER center yourself behind a 4 wheeler so close that you can't see the road well. If they see something on the road, they will straddle it......and you will hit it. #2 NEVER give up on a corner. You WILL at some point enter a curve too fast for your comfort. When you do, just lean more. You will be amazed at how far you can lean a bike. Why just drive it off the road? I've been riding since 1964 and have yet to know anyone who actually has slid off the road on a curve {unless driving at suicide speeds or there is gravel, that is a whole other thing}. Best wishes and enjoy your new ride. You made a wise choice.

Cliff

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
New rider....ok. This board has a ton of info just for your bike. Just review the old posts as you have time. As for general bike riding, listen to riders that have been around for a long time and that don't brag about doing stupid things. I'd like to pass on my favorite 2 pieces of advice. #1 NEVER center yourself behind a 4 wheeler so close that you can't see the road well. If they see something on the road, they will straddle it......and you will hit it. #2 NEVER give up on a corner. You WILL at some point enter a curve too fast for your comfort. When you do, just lean more. You will be amazed at how far you can lean a bike. Why just drive it off the road? I've been riding since 1964 and have yet to know anyone who actually has slid off the road on a curve {unless driving at suicide speeds or there is gravel, that is a whole other thing}. Best wishes and enjoy your new ride. You made a wise choice.

Cliff
As Cliff said, NEVER give up on a curve. The only wreck I've had in my nearly 350,000 miles of riding was because I didn't lean far enough. I had ridden the curve I crashed on at higher speeds and have since then. My crash was at night and I just felt too fast.

Top Bottom