[Review] New PR4s mounted

Bike
2010 Red NT700
So I got my new PR4s mounted today. I only rode about 60 miles, but I know I'm going to like them.
Let's not anyone kid ourselves:
There's really nothing new to review (IMO)
We all knew it would be a good tire, so the only real criteria is whether or not we realize the claimed 20% gain in longevity.
I only got 8800 out of my previous (rear) PR3, so if I get 10,500 out of this one I will feel I got what I paid for
I quit on my previous front PR3 today at 16K and it was still very much alive
That's all I really care about, longevity...already knowing that I loved the PR3

Anyway, I didn't think I would feel anything different til I got out to the country, but I was wrong. The first corner I took, I knew I was back on firm footing because I didn't feel anything as I rounded the corner. Then, something as mundane as turning into my alley felt better; even just turning out of the alley into my garage felt better
Its amazing how much better round tires feel than square ones

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I am only going to get 9000 to 9500 on my rear PR3 that is on my NT. Which is better then most of the tires I have run on any bike.

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Have mine sitting in the corner waiting for mounting. Hoping they are as good as they are saying. I've been getting a little over 10,000 out of the rear PR2 so I'm hoping for 12,000 or more.

Last edited:
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I never get more than about 8K on a rear tire. Perhaps it is because of my riding style. No burn outs or rear tire skidding, however I do use engine braking. I have read that your rear tire will last longer if you do less engine braking.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Weight, road surface, and "style" are often the big deciding factors in tire wear (assuming proper inflation). If you use your rear brake or use the engine brake, I don't see how engine braking would be any more wearing on rear tire as opposed to using the rear brake. Now if it is a decision between using engine brake or not using engine braking where you aren't ever using your rear brake, then yes I see how that might change the rear tire wear....but I would suggest it is better to use your brakes than not. :smile:

I think those GA/TN/NC mountain roads are pretty abrasive and can really put some heat and scuffing on a tire. I know my tires seem to wear pretty quickly and bugger up when riding in the mountains down there. Fortunately, even though the roads might wear the tires out quick, they sure are a lot of fun!

I never get more than about 8K on a rear tire. Perhaps it is because of my riding style. No burn outs or rear tire skidding, however I do use engine braking. I have read that your rear tire will last longer if you do less engine braking.

Top Bottom