New Springs up front

Fisherdave

I have around 16K on my 2010 NT 700V & recently noticed that one of the fork seals was leaking. Since I was replacing one I figured I might as well replace both. Then I continued to think about the suspension on the bike & figured this might just be a good time to upgrade. When I looked around, there wasn't a huge selection, but I decided to forge ahead regardless. I ended up buying a set of Hyperpro progressive springs from EPM Performance Imports (http://epmperf.com - 877-786-6543). I spoke with a guy by the name of Klaus & double checked for the correct part numbers. They cost right around $160 plus shipping. I had the local Honda dealer install them when they put the new fork seals in. I took the bike out for a short ride over roads that I knew were choppy & I am very pleasantly surprised. I know that the bike feels more solid on uneven and bumpy surfaces. Although it's too soon to tell for sure, it also seems to handle better in the corners. From my point of view this is a considerable improvement.

I'd do business with this company again. I ordered the springs on Monday & they were here by Friday.:)

skiper

Great to hear - looking for more results as you put some miles on. Are you light, medium, or heavy on the bike ? Was there one specific reason to change ? or a general desire for upgrade ?

OP
OP

Fisherdave

I'm about 5' 10'' & 175 lbs, but I've been riding since the late 60s. Perhaps I feel things a little more than I did 30 years ago. The "nose dive" on hard braking also bothered me some. I have not been all that successful at getting the rear shock set to a position that's right for me. When I get it set stiffer I can feel it in my arms & shoulders & when it's too soft it tends to bottom out on rough roads. I do mainly back roads & in IL they are often not in great shape. I'll continue to report on this after I get a couple hundred miles in.

YKnot

Did these progressive springs help with the "nose dive" on hard/emergency braking?

OP
OP

Fisherdave

I put about 300 miles on the bike since my initial post. I believe it was money well-spent. I found that I'm able to adjust the rear to a stiffer setting & have a more comfortable & controlled ride. I have also eliminated the nose dive issue since these springs have been installed. Earlier today I traded bikes w/my brother & asked him to evaluate the suspension. He was very impressed. He thinks that if the upgrade to the front was this successful I ought to look into the rear as well. Maybe?? I don't know, the rear is certainly more expensive. In conclusion, the new front springs seem to reduce the jarring impact to my arms/shoulders better than the OEM did. They have eliminated the nose dive issue, & they make the adjustment to the rear shock more versatile. Again, money well-spent.

skiper

Interesting -- thanks for the info. Will thicker fork oil be noticeable ?- as far as nosedive on initial braking ?

OP
OP

Fisherdave

Pardon me for not mentioning it, but the new springs came w/the fork oil included. The bottle says 15 weight, but the significant point is that the spring company has said that this is the right stuff to use w/these springs. Again, so far so good.

Top Bottom