New Tire!

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Got me a new rear tire, but it's not new!

Should have known, this tire was $10 cheaper than every place else. it's all ready 3 years old, I think it be all right....pics 20200219_151021.jpg20200219_151054.jpg20200219_151132.jpg

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
If it has been stored correctly out of sunshine and humidity it is fine.

Macka
[/QUOTE

I would say its fine, probably been in a cool dark Michigan Warehouse most of that time, and I would say any tire should be pliable with good grip for five years, I should have it wore out after the next two years.

Avi

Got me a new rear tire, but it's not new!

Should have known, this tire was $10 cheaper than every place else. it's all ready 3 years old, I think it be all right....pics 20200219_151021.jpg20200219_151054.jpg20200219_151132.jpg
Thanks for sharing this important Tip.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Any reason you got it wider than the stock size ?
On the stock size I use all the rear contact patch to the edge without any problem and still have a inch left on the front I can't use so thought I would try a 160/70 and see what I got left to the edges, also thought a little taller tire may lower rpm just a hair maybe helping mpg and vibrations? Can't hurt to try it!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
One thing that it will probably do is add a bit of error to your speedometer and odometer -- with the stock tire size, they have been more accurate than any I've had on any vehicles I've owned.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have one on my NT. I don't think the roadsmart 3 is available in original size. The roadsmart 2 was.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have one on my NT. I don't think the roadsmart 3 is available in original size. The roadsmart 2 was.

Brad
It is a curious situation with the NT and Roadsmart 3's rear tires... pull up a chair.... I have been very pleased with the performance of the RS 2's that I have used on Traveller so I was excited to hear about the new RS 3's. When the time came to replace my RS 2's, much to my dismay I found that a RS 3 was not available in the 150 rear tire size. I contacted Dunlop and was advised that they were not making a 150 due to the anticipated small demand and in fact that the NT was removed from their online fitment chart due to this. I looked at the 160 and did the math and found that it would work OK and only introduce a <2% speedo error and there were no clearance issues so I sprung for a 160. It worked great and as calculated, the speedo error was insignificant. Some time later I saw a blurb in one of the mags that Dunlop was now offering the RS 3 in the 150 size to address the "adventure" market. When the time came for a new rear skin once again I went with the RS 3 in a 150. My tire guy initially told me that the 150 was not available in the 150 size and I told him to double check with his distributor and sure enough the 150 was a brand new addition and was indeed available.
Fairly recently, I once again visited the Dunlop site and found that the NT was still deleted from their website fitment chart. I emailed customer service and advised them of their omission. I was contacted back by Dunlop and was advised that they still did not offer the RS 3 in the 150 size that met the "Z" speed rating required by the NT. It seems that the 150 is only "V"rated and does not meet the NT tire spec so Dunlop could not "legally" list the 150 as a suitable replacement. The "Z" speed rating is for speeds up to 149 mph and the "V" speed rating was for 129 mph if I recall my numbers correctly. I advised the Dunlop rep that I was an olde farte (not as old as Phil or JJ, though) and would likely never exceed 100 mph. He told me, unofficially, of course, that I would probably be OK with the 150.
So that's the saga of the RS 3 in the 150/160 tire size quandary

Mike

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
It is a curious situation with the NT and Roadsmart 3's rear tires... pull up a chair.... I have been very pleased with the performance of the RS 2's that I have used on Traveller so I was excited to hear about the new RS 3's. When the time came to replace my RS 2's, much to my dismay I found that a RS 3 was not available in the 150 rear tire size. I contacted Dunlop and was advised that they were not making a 150 due to the anticipated small demand and in fact that the NT was removed from their online fitment chart due to this. I looked at the 160 and did the math and found that it would work OK and only introduce a <2% speedo error and there were no clearance issues so I sprung for a 160. It worked great and as calculated, the speedo error was insignificant. Some time later I saw a blurb in one of the mags that Dunlop was now offering the RS 3 in the 150 size to address the "adventure" market. When the time came for a new rear skin once again I went with the RS 3 in a 150. My tire guy initially told me that the 150 was not available in the 150 size and I told him to double check with his distributor and sure enough the 150 was a brand new addition and was indeed available.
Fairly recently, I once again visited the Dunlop site and found that the NT was still deleted from their website fitment chart. I emailed customer service and advised them of their omission. I was contacted back by Dunlop and was advised that they still did not offer the RS 3 in the 150 size that met the "Z" speed rating required by the NT. It seems that the 150 is only "V"rated and does not meet the NT tire spec so Dunlop could not "legally" list the 150 as a suitable replacement. The "Z" speed rating is for speeds up to 149 mph and the "V" speed rating was for 129 mph if I recall my numbers correctly. I advised the Dunlop rep that I was an olde farte (not as old as Phil or JJ, though) and would likely never exceed 100 mph. He told me, unofficially, of course, that I would probably be OK with the 150.
So that's the saga of the RS 3 in the 150/160 tire size quandary

Mike
The 150 was listed at all the places I looked to by from but I would have just went with the Michelin that said if this Dunlop is not as good in the wet and don't last as long I'll go back to the 150 Michelin.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The 150 was listed at all the places I looked to by from but I would have just went with the Michelin that said if this Dunlop is not as good in the wet and don't last as long I'll go back to the 150 Michelin.
I think you will be very pleased with the RS3.

Mike

Top Bottom