New to me F800ST

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I reset the mileage on every bike I've owned and if it does have an avg display, I use that to determine my range once hitting reserve. I cut that in half. If it says 42mpg, I use 20-22 as my true end of tank range so I still have some buffer.

The modern yamaha guages suck in my opinion, the 1st half is like 3/4, then the display goes down fast.
The RT appears to be pretty linear.
Fuel gauge accuracy is highly dependent on fuel tank shape. The fuel sender is just a variable resistor that changes it's value as a function of fuel level. It is linear in function thus it's resistance changes uniformly with change in fuel level. Most fuel tanks are wider at the top and taper down the sides. Also the top frame tube displaces a lot of fuel capacity as the tank tapers down. That's why the gauge seems to drop very slowly at first and then plunges during the last few miles.

Mike

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
The gauge on the F800ST shows full until the tank is roughly half empty. The miles until empty shows >109 to >115 or thereabouts (I'm guessing that it depends on how the mpg has been calculated up to the point when the gauge can actually read the tank level and the computer can calculate an actual miles to empty). The tank is under the seat and moulded to fit in the space available so it is definitely an oddball shape.

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Yes they are, and are adjustable as to how far you want to expand them. They have a removable inner bag that is waterproof (haven't tested that claim yet) so you can pack the inner bag and put it into the saddlebag. The saddlebag itself may not be waterproof in a heavy rain when it is expanded.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Frosty has one, but mostly now rides his Triumph. His F is tricked out for him. He still has the hole in his drive belt and I dont think it got any bigger in the time he has had it. I think he bought the thingy to talk to it and reset reminders, etc. He got the F new for a song.....Oh, and he made is own tool to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap.
I test rode an F at the dealer twice. Its a beautiful bike. I tried hard to like it but just couldnt. One, at 6 ft 2 inches, I am too tall for it. Two, there are two vibration ranges...a major and a minor one...once you learn where they are, you dont even need a tach....those were pretty anoying. But the worst was the clutch. Even now Frosty still over revs his other bike to get underway because that is what you have to do with the F so you dont kill the engine at a stoplight and get hit from behind. The other BMW riders have come up with all sorts of fixes, including a set of cables that slow down, if you will, the clutch "cable" action so you can feel some sort of friction point. I could learn to live with the gas gage that wont work till the tank is half empty. And the belt is nice...I think it has to be replaced at 20k but the new ones are no longer $400. I am not sure if you need the special alignment tool or not. With the bar risers, I am happy I bought the VFR. Its only problem is you can be in fourth or fifth and not realize you have to upshift cause it is so smooth.
Before risers. The low seat height is a plus...one minute on this bike and I knew it was ME. I am sure you felt the same way about the F. Safe riding!
a go.JPG

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Everytime u post a pic of the Lady in Red, I get tempted.....

Mike

Top Bottom