New to me NT with 5100mi: the experience thus far

Hey All-

So through a couple of stuttering attempts, I finally have the NT on the road.
  • It needed the plug caps replaced and while I was going through my Due Diligence maintenance determine that the PO had removed the air filter (this gave me pause).
  • Needed a pannier cover (seller, not the PO, shattered the r/h one :( ) so i splurged and got the large ones from CMSNL.
  • Also got a Hepco-Becker guard for the bodywork but whatever.
  • It had a Corbin heated seat on it but the PO cut a bunch of the wires. It sat in the sun and the cover is awful. Probably not worth anything.
  • The PO had louder horns that are still inop, ditto the 'fog' lights mounted on the forks.

I have not done a compression test to determine if there was any prolonged use without the filter but it does not smoke or seem out of sorts (strictly seat of pants appraisal).

I'll say that after an hour of riding it total: It is the most Honda motorcycle I've ever ridden: capable, unobtrusive, kinda boring. Decent power, notable intake honk on acceleration, more v-twin personality than I'd expected. Also lower than I'd feared: sits nice and I'm a short-leg/long torso 5'8".

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Hope you enjoy the NT. Sounds like you may have a little more to check out from previous mods.
The air filter would give me pause also. Ride it a bit and if no oil use you'll be good.

In my much younger days I burned up a Kawasaki 2 stroke dirt bike riding in a very fine dusty flat track we made out in a cornfield. My issue was the filter did not seal well enough for the fine dust. Replaced with a K&N. All that dust it inhaled chewed up bearings, crank pin and rotary valve cover. Still repairable but not desirable. Not sure what the dust did to me and my lungs but I was young at the time and I've made it this far with the same lungs I started with.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The air filter being tucked out of the way under the fuel tank and only 5100 on the clock leads me to believe that the engine is still OK. Remember, the goof who removed the filter did not do so at mile one so some of the 5100 miles of air ingested was filtered. I think the more you ride it the more you will find it is a very capable, comfortable bike.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
....and be sure to lube the drive splines liberally with the Honda Moly 60 lubricant or equivalent. Plain old moly grease is not sufficient.

Mike

OP
OP
jfear
Excellent points: I had the rear wheel off and had a look at the pucks at least (the OG rubber was the worst I had ever seen: it still had nubbins in places but was cracking and stiff in all the wrong places). Next time round I'll get the hondalube moly out.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Excellent points: I had the rear wheel off and had a look at the pucks at least (the OG rubber was the worst I had ever seen: it still had nubbins in places but was cracking and stiff in all the wrong places). Next time round I'll get the hondalube moly out.
Orders some new rubber pucks and inspect the aluminum inserts for wear.

Top Bottom