New Versys

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Jim,

Are you comparing the new 650 with the old , or the 1000 with the old 650?:eek:

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like it. Looks like a cross between an adv bike and touring bike. Now, if you could lower the suspension a couple of inches, put on a larger windshield..... :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I can imagine the outrage if Moto Guzzi found a way to make the bikes not torque from throttle application or to run without vibrations. Loyalists would cry out about the "loss of the 'soul' of the bike".

Everything else, that doesn't vibrate or shake, is labeled an "appliance" and deemed not worthy of riding for fun. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Maybe why Guzzi sells so many bikes :) :) :)

You should read all the outcry when Guzzi put a cruise control on the new Cali. Or when they decided to put ABS on the new V7. Sacrilege! Keep the 'brand' pure! Don't need none of that modern stuff!

Interesting that the same company makes Aprilla and Moto GUzzi. Like extreme opposites.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The new Versys has a lot going for it IMHO. It would be a contender for my $ if it had a driveshaft and sumpin' happened to Traveller.

Mike

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Are you comparing the new 650 with the old , or the 1000 with the old 650?
Well, both actually.
The 650 has way more power than the NT.
It has a shorter wheel base which makes it handle quicker, but it isn't as stable as the NT
It is almost 100# lighter.
The lighter weight and chain drive make it more responsive than the NT
Both the NT and Versys are fairly tall bikes (and my Russel Day Long raised my NT seat about 1")
The NT has better brakes.
The NT has better wind/rain protection.
The Versys is more fun - the NT is more comfortable.
The NT gets about 5 more mpg than the Versys.

But I like the looks of the new 1000
I'd like the 120 hp too - maybe too much.
The hard bags look small, but they have to work better than the NTs.
And since I prefer tall bikes it might just fit me.

I plan to keep my NT. It just plain works so well for me.
It is comfortable AND it is paid for!!!!!

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Groan. From the linked article:

"Kawasaki does point out, however, that not all vibrations were canceled because they are a part of the personal relationship between bike and rider."

The Orwellian chorus of marketing nitwits continues unimpeded by sanity.
That reminds me of the relatively short lived Honda VTR-1000, a 1000 cc V-twin sport bike. Honda made a big deal about the frame which had "controlled flex". And I am thinking. "What?" I always thought you wanted a frame as stiff as practical. But apparently, I am wrong.

I can imagine the outrage if Moto Guzzi found a way to make the bikes not torque from throttle application or to run without vibrations. Loyalists would cry out about the "loss of the 'soul' of the bike".

Everything else, that doesn't vibrate or shake, is labeled an "appliance" and deemed not worthy of riding for fun. :)
Well, then, if you want soul, get a Harley.

rut3556

>>The new Versys has a lot going for it<<

And I can't wait to see one!

Top Bottom