Newbie Tool Kit & Spark Plug Wrench Question

Yup, it's the new kid again, asking more newbie questions!

My bike arrives next week sometime and it doesn't appear that I'm getting a tool kit with it. In fact, looking at the Honda microfiche parts diagrams for the US models, they don't even show a tool kit. (I only see tool kits mentioned when the Deauville is discussed, so maybe the European owners got one.)

So, my questions are:

1. Did the US models come with a tool kit? Yes/No?

2. Documentation I've seen says that the spark plug wrench is a 16.5mm. Seems and odd size. Is that correct?

3. What the heck do you do without that special swivel-shaft spark plug tool (item #6 in the pic below)? What exactly do you use instead to get your plugs out?

PS) Yes, I can rig up a swivel on my socket set, but I sure don't have a 16.5mm socket. (Every socket set I've ever seen jumps from 15mm to 17mm.)

Somebody take the new guy to school on this!

Honda NT700V Tool Kit.jpg

Honda NT700V Spark Plug Wrench.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
1. No

2. 16.5 mm = 0.656." The correct spark plug socket is 5/8" (0.625") and it fits nicely.

3. I had one of those special spark plug sockets (#6) that came with my PC800 where it was truly necessary. Being stamped steel, it was thin wall and would fit into the tight well where the spark plug lived on that engine. If you tried to use a normal, thick wall, forged steel socket there was a good chance that you'd crack the cyl head cover which caused an oil leak. The PC800 V-twin had 4 spark plugs.

For the NT's front cyl's spark plug, I use the 5/8" socket then add a short "wobble" extension once the socket is seated. Getting the socket and extension into that space while connected is impossible because of a frame cross brace. The rear cyl's plug is easy because you have a straight shot into it. :)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
For #3 I use a 5/8 spark plug socket with a built in universal joint and a short extension. When installing the new plugs slip a section of rubber hose over the ceramic of the new plug and use the rubber hose to screw the plug in. The rubber hose gives you the added reach you need and also prevents cross threading.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The tool kit as shown was only provided on the European NTā€™s. I did purchase one from an international source. It was pretty expensive and you had to purchase each tool separately. It was not sold as a complete kit.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
No, the US Sold NTs were "NOT" sold with a tool kit.

If you really wanted to put together a genuine Honda Tool Kit. I would look at the ST1300 tool kit as many of the items look very similar to the image that you had shown earlier.
2010 Honda ST1300 Tools

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Unless you plan to display your bike at a show with all the original paperwork, dealer stickers, etc., where you are graded on the 100-point system, I wouldn't bother getting the Honda Tool Kit. They are not high-grade tools intended for daily use but work OK when a problem arises on the road.

When I got my NT, I drove to Harbor Freight with a list of the things I needed and the total cost was probably 1/4 of the cost of the Honda tool kit!

OP
OP
WingMan71
No, the US Sold NTs were "NOT" sold with a tool kit.

If you really wanted to put together a genuine Honda Tool Kit. I would look at the ST1300 tool kit as many of the items look very similar to the image that you had shown earlier.
2010 Honda ST1300 Tools
Interesting!

I did find the NT700V/Deauville tool kit on CMSNL.COM, and compared the component pieces to the ST1300 tool kit. They both have the spark plug wrench, but the shaft of the spark plug wrench (part# 89216-MBG-000) for the ST1300 looks a bit longer than the shaft of the spark plug wrench (part# 89216-MEW-921)for the NT700V/Deauville. I wonder if that slightly longer shaft would get in the way doing the job on the NT700V.

I'm probably gonna buy just the spark plug wrench from the kit and nothing else, if I can get one. Like DirtFlier said these OEM tool kits are not of the best quality anyway.

EDIT: Honda part# 89216-MAT-000 seems to be readily available and looks to be pretty much identical. Even found NOS ones on eBay from around $11.00 to $15.00, or from Partzilla direct. They are just short of 6" long overall. It is a 16.5mm wrench. I may just get one those and see if the length is proper to fit the NT700V.

Honda NT700V Spark Plug Wrench_Partzilla.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You can buy a 5/8" spark plug socket with universal joint for about $6-$7 at O'Reilly or another parts store. It will have a 3/8" drive that will fit the standard ratchet and will zip a plug in and out easier and faster that the OE Honda wrench..... I'm just sayin.....

Mike
...and put a small dab of Never Seize on the new spark plug threads! :)
Tosh, I was gonna suggest that too but I remembered that NGK sez that the anti seize isn't necessary because they have coated threads and didn't want to subject myself to the forthcoming scorn and ridicule for suggesting such a thing....... pssst.... but between you and me I still use a dab on each plug.... just an olde farte thing I guess...

;)

Mike

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Not sure how long you are going to keep or how many miles you plan to do in the hear future but changing spark plugs on the NT700 is not something that needs doing very often - I know what the service schedule says, but now at 75K miles on second set of plugs and never check them in between services and still starts and runs beautifully. First were removed at around 48K and still well within tolerances......

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The tools for the NT are actually pretty good quality and while probably not something you would use as you main service tools they are not poor quality like some of the Chinese stuff at Harbor Freight. I still use the tools from my 1969 Honda CB160 tool kit and they have held up well after all these years.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
... these OEM tool kits are not of the best quality anyway.
Well, it's an emergency kit, dedicated for handling minor brake-downs at the side of the road... but the Honda kit is a lot better sorted that what other bike MFGs offend you with... šŸ˜
The spark plug wrench however does come handy, the ones in your socket/ratchet kit are often way too clumsy to fit into the well or retrieve the spark-plug...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MikeSim - Yup, I too am guilty of some Old Fartisms but without the odor. :rofl1:

The combination wrench set I bought at Harbor Freight was nicely polished and on the flanks stamped with "Made in India." And so far they have served me well. Honestly I can only think of one wrench from HF that I broke. It was a set of 3/8" drive allen socket set with ball ends and I broke the 8 mm one while tightening the handlebar clamps using a torque wrench...oh well.

Last edited:
Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I carry a multi-tool from Cruz tools and a small Vise grip, on the road only had to use the vise-grip once to make a emergency repair to someone else's motorcycle.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm glad to see HF begin to source products from countries besides the ChiComs. I just have a hunch that at some point in time relatively soon we will cease doing business with them completely or nearly so. I just hope we have our ducks in a row and have established reliable, quality alternative sources for our needs before it gets ugly.

Mike

Top Bottom