Nice Fall Ride in the Rockies

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Larry Hale and I took a nice ride today. This was my first trip since I got the bike back out of the shop after having the connection with the TPI repaired. It had done fine riding home from the shop last week, and it did fine today for 169 miles. The bike runs like it did when it was new and sure doesn't feel like a 10-year-old with 135K miles on it. It ran and handled perfectly.

Some of you have met Larry at the Spearfish Rally -- he came on an NC700X and then on something else; he's moved back to Greeley from near Sturgis and is now riding a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. We went up Big Thompson Canyon to Estes after it warmed up some this morning. At 6AM, it was 23F in Greeley and 40F in Estes, but by the time we left here at 11AM, Greeley was up to about 45 or so and I'd guess it was still around 40 in Estes. We grabbed lunch and conversation at McDonald's and then headed south on CO-7. 7 climbs up out of the Estes Valley and runs just east of Rocky Mountain National Park, Long's Peak and Meeker Peak. After passing by Allen's Park, 7 goes down the hill towards Lyons. Larry and I stayed on the Peak-to-Peak, which turns into CO-72 and keeps trending south toward the town of Nederland.

After Nederland, we took CO-119 down Boulder Canyon. We had seen a sign right before we took the turn onto 72 that Boulder Canyon highway was "closed Mon-Thur from ???? to ????." Those flashing signs always flash faster then I can read when I'm busy riding! I decided we'd keep going and, if 119 was closed when we got to Nederland, we'd just come back north on 72 and then take 7 down to Lyons. Turns out the time of closure was 0945 to 1400. We got to Nederland at 1430, so we were OK. There were a couple of places where the road was one-lane but we only had to stop for one of those places. After threading our way through Boulder's barely pre-rush-hour traffic, we rode north to Lyons and then took county roads to Carter Lake. The north side of Carter Lake has a serious descent with curves that keep your attention. Back when I lived in Loveland in the early '90s, I'd ride to Carter Lake on my bicycle. That downhill from the north end of the lake is one of the places where I've gotten my bicycle maxed out. For me, terminal velocity on a bicycle has never exceeded 56mph. I didn't get that fast today on my NT!

It was a good day -- spectacular scenery (sorry I'm not as good as Chuck Henderson about stopping and taking pictures! Today I didn't even remember to take my camera :-( )

168 miles with a bike that ran flawlessly! That felt great and made me excited for 2020 and the rides I'll take next year. BTW, I finally got over 4,000 miles for the year today. It's the fewest miles I've ridden in a year since 1997. That year I didn't start riding till August and all my miles were on a borrowed bike. It was in '98 that I bought my Silverwing -- I rode it 19,000+ miles in 13 months before buying '99 Concours #1. I had 115K on it when I totaled it one night (on CO-72, the road Larry and I rode today). '99 Connie # got 60K before I bought Dudley in March of 2010. When I add up those miles, I've got about 320K total since '97, so I've averaged between 14 and 15K miles a year. I'm fairly confident I'll get back up over 10K for 2020.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Sounds like a successful repair was accomplished and you're ready to cover a lot of ground during riding season.

With the temperature your talking during your ride today, I'd have been plugging in some heated gear! Many years ago, I drove from Loveland through Estes and then followed CO-34 through Rocky Mountain National Park passing Lake Grandby and ultimately down to I-70 on the way to Vail. Beautiful interesting scenery you have in Colorado!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rusty Iron said: "With the temperature your talking during your ride today, I'd have been plugging in some heated gear!"

I did! I had my Warm'n'Safe jacket under the 'Stitch, and the heated grips on low. Larry says he hasn't had heated gear in over 25 years -- he wears a heavy leather jacket and leather chaps. He swears he's comfortable.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Thanks for the great account of your ride Phil, wish I had been there with you.

I have only managed to put around 6,000 miles on my NT since I purchased it around 6 years ago. My "riding time" never seems to be as frequent as I imagine it could be and in the last year I have been suffering from what appears to be an aggressively progressing arthritis. Some days my hands and hips are in too much pain to even consider going for a ride.

I have been planning an around Australia trip (similar in distance to your four corners of the US trip) but I now have doubts that I will ever be able to make such a trip and I fear I will be selling my NT in the near future as I will no longer be able to ride.

Anyway enough sulking from me, I will still enjoy "riding along with you" when I read your posts.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Seagrass, I'm really sorry to hear about your arthritis. So far, the surgeon has managed to keep mine out of my body. I've been grateful that hips and hands haven't suffered like knees have. My friend Larry who rode with me today said that he didn't understand why I didn't get a bike with a lower seat height than the NT, but what I've figured out is that now that my sidestand is short enough that I'm not worried about dropping the bike just getting on and off, I actually like the fact that my legs are pretty straight when my feet are on the ground. My 6th replacement knee (left knee #3) never has regained a lot of strength and having it straighter gives me more stability and confidence than I would have if my knee was bent more.

Have you considered hip replacement? My orthopaedic surgeon says that hip replacements work very well and don't have as many issues as knee replacements do.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - what I often do is stand on the left footpeg to get ON or OFF the bike. This gives you another 6-8" of height so getting your leg to clear the passenger is easier but it does take some practice. I'm a towering 5'6" so you're probably taller than me but my hips & knees (still original equipment) work as designed so I may have a flexibility advantage! :)

If you're worried about the rewelded sidestand, don't! When you do this you are pressing INTO the welded joint so it's unlikely the weld joint will break. If it was a bending or stretching movement then yes, it would stress the welded joint but it's not. Both my bikes have shortened sidestands and I did the rewelding at the foot so the welded joint is just above on the ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
DirtFlier, after I got my 3rd right knee replaced, I have lost some flexibility in that joint. And I always have the topbox on the bike. I have to stand beside the bike, slightly to the rear, hoist my straight right leg up across the saddle while clearing the tank with my boot, and then get my left foot slightly forward on the ground to be able to slide onto the saddle. I've just figured out that if I reach across to the right-side grab handle, I can make that move much more easily. I'm not worried about the sidestand breaking. Like yours, the weld on mine is just above the larger foot my friend welded on to it.

Back before I had the last right knee replaced, I sometimes got on by standing on the left footpeg like you do.

BTW, I used to be a towering 5'9" and then I dropped to 5'8". Now, I'm only 5'7," so I'm chasing you downward!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Phil, Glad your bike is fixed and rolling again. Too bad you had to go through all that to get here. Sounds like you are ready when the weather is.
Reading your gymnast acrobat moves to get on the bike is just a little scary. But it works.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Met up with an old buddy from high school today. 63 degrees and sunny! We rode many of the old roads we rode together 55 years ago. Brought back lots of memories. Great day!

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
good to see the bike back is back in tip top shape!!!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Sounds like a bunch of you northeast of us are going to be getting cold and snowy. Larry and I think we're going to ride again on Wednesday. :)

Top Bottom