No more "dumb" fuses!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In planning for our trip to the Smoky's, I've been farkling up Traveller for the trip. I've always been one to try to prepare as best I can (go ahead, call me anal, I can take it!), and, having witnessed Edsel Murphy's law firshand on many occasions, I've been preparing for every conceivable contigency.

As I was lying in bed the other night, I said to myself, "Self, what happens if you're riding at night and you blow a fuse?" "Your flashlight batteries are dead, now what?" That's when it hit me! Enter the "SmartFuse"! These little rascals are made by Littlefuse and have a tiny LED wired in parallel with the thermal element of the fuse. If, for whatever reason the fuse clears, voila! the LED illuminates thus directing your attention to the culprit. Perefect for a dark night on a deserted mountain road in the Smoky's.

So, today I replaced all the standard fuses with Smartfuses. They are $3.99 for a pair of two at my store so the total investment would be something on the order of $40.00 for the 10 and 20 amp circuit fuses and the 30 amp main fuse. One of my cheaper farkles, but could prove to be wise investment should the need arise.

MIke

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mike,
That's a great idea. Takes the guesswork out of trying to find which fuse blew. Carry the old ones as spares or keep them for the cage. I wonder when they will come out with circuit breakers? Our DC and AC panels on the boat all have breakers.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Nice Mike... it also guarantees you'll never blow a fuse.. LOL

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
This has been an expensive website for me. And yet another post ends with, I want that!!!
Ain't it the truth? It's bad enough that I'm gonna have to get momma a second job just so I can keep up with the Joneses... the Rick's... the Phil's.... now I go on and start findin' stuff to spend money on myownself. To hell with the politicians, I say..... I'm on a one-man mission to restore the economy single-handedly.

;^)

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The "problem" with fuses is when they blow the fault that caused them to blow in the first place is usually still present when you plug in your spare... Which immediately blows....:rolleyes1: I prefer circuit breakers, at least on mission critical "stuff", as I can keep resetting it until I find the underlying problem...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
ahem... ah.. Wayne, you accidentally closed another thread... LOL

I guess public ridicule is one way to break you of that habit... LOL

Top Bottom