Nolan N90

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Based on comments on this forum I decided that I should look at a full coverage helmet. I have always worn a 3/4 helmet with a face shield but the additonal crash and winter weather protection had me thinking I should invest in a full coverage helmet.

The flip up or modular design seemed to make sense since I wear glasses and being able to lift the chin bar up to take a drink or have a conversation seemed like a good feature. Since I was not sure if I would end up liking a full coverage helmet I didn't want to drop the big bucks for a C3 but also wanted to make sure if I liked it that I had a helmet that was well made and had the same features of a C3.

I settled on the new Nolan N90 which seems to be the budget version of the N103. It does come with a pinlock antifog insert which should come in handy for winter riding. It can also be fitted with the Nolan N-Com system and it has an internal sun visor which I require. I paid $238 for it from Dennis Kirk. I have only worn it a few times so I can not give a through report but I can say that most of my fears of wearing a full coverage helmet have not proven to be an issue. The forward vision is better than I had expected but there is some vision restriction out the sides and less air flow to my face than my 3/4 helmet has but that was expected. If I remove the chin curtain I think it will flow more air under the face shield which will solve one of the issues.

Anyone that is interested can read a good review at webbikeworld. They gave it a very good rating.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n90/

Last edited:

jwayne

Hi Warren,

I have the Nolan 90 and like it a lot. I am normally a full face helmet guy, the Nolan is my first flip helmet. It has become my every day hot weather helmet because it allows me the the flexibility to grab a drink and catch a breeze if the traffic stops. I normally wear Shoei helmets because they fit my head just right. Based on all the reviews I have read the Nolan 90 is a safe well constructed helmet; I chose it over the Shoei Multitec based on the safety reviews.

JW

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I started riding, I had a Shoei RF-800. It was OK, but after a year or so, I had practically destroyed a pair of glasses. I'd take them off, put them somewhere that might be secure on the bike while I put the helmet on, then pick the glasses up off the pavement (not always, but way too often), and then (too often) remember that I hadn't put my earplugs in, and go through the whole deal again.

My first flip-up was an HJC Symax. It was an improvement over the Shoei, but in much rain, it leaked quite a bit of water onto the inside of the face shield, and the face shield would sometimes blow open when I passed a truck during a strong crosswind from the right side of the bike.

After that I've had three Nolans. The first one was an N-102 (I think). It had an external sunshade, an idea which sounded better than it turned out to be. At speed or in high wind, the bottom edge of the sunshade would touch the faceshield and scuffed it up.

Then I got an N-103, had it about three weeks, and had a crash and destroyed it. I got another one and have worn it for close to four years before replacing it week before last with a Schubert.

The N-90 looks like it ought to be very comparable to the N-103.

I am looking for a modular and looked at both the Hjc IS Max BT and the Nolan 103. The Nolan (large) was too narrow at the jaws and caused discomfort like the Scorpion Exo 900 I tried on. The HJC IS Max fit very well. After reading a webbikeworld review and revzilla.com (who compares it to the HJC line) it seems the N90 is more for neutral or rounded heads and that's what I need. I am going to see if there is a dealer locally that has one for me to try on and then order one through revzilla who is selling them for $233. They look sharp!

Jim

elizilla

If you try one on locally you should buy it locally.

I've had good luck getting local dealers to price match the internet dealers on helmet prices, and last time I bought a new helmet it actually cost me less because they included the different cheekpads needed to fine-tune the fit, in the price of the helmet, instead of me having to buy them as an extra cost item.

Mattb

If you try one on locally you should buy it locally.

I've had good luck getting local dealers to price match the internet dealers on helmet prices, and last time I bought a new helmet it actually cost me less because they included the different cheekpads needed to fine-tune the fit, in the price of the helmet, instead of me having to buy them as an extra cost item.
I try to practice this also, but yesterday the local vendor was out of the size my wife needs and tried to upsell her on a much more expensive helmet.

I came home and ordered her size from revzilla. Most of the time I buy local.

jwayne

Hi TP,

The Nolan N90 was my first modular as well. I have found it to well made and real convenient when running errands around town. I hate stopping and taking my helmet off just to go to the post office or buy gas but; with a full face helmet you almost have to take it off with temps staying in the mid 90's . It is also a relatively quiet helmet in comparison to the helmets tested on the webbike forum.

Have a fondness for Shoei because of their factory support. Not so long ago I dropped my RF900 and with the visor full open it ripped out the visor mounting mechanism. Called Shoei and asked if it could be fixed. Ship it in and we will see was the reply. Sent it in and about two weeks later called to find out the result. Tech had it in front of him said it was fixed and looked good. I asked how much; the reply was nothing for warrenty work. Amazed I pointed out that this was not a young helmet and I had no proof of purchase or anything else. No problem said they. Also impressed that it could take being washed out in the shower with Spray and Wash and nothing came loose or unglued.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My Nolan 103 is four years old and will need replacement soon. I think that I will either get another Nolan or a Shark. I have an older HJC Modular that leaks like a sieve. My wife can make a hanging planter out of it--already has four of my bicycle helmets so deployed. All four were retired after a crash. (An aside: It really gets me when I see used bicycle and MC helmets at Goodwill--dangerous--maybe better than nothing)

Top Bottom