Non-ABS to ABS Conversion

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
While I haven't yet formed an opinion on the virtues of ABS versus non-ABS in terms of stopping quickly in emergencies from all I have read, it made me wonder the other day while riding if it is possible to convert a non-ABS 2010 to an ABS?
If so, has another done it?
Was it difficult to do and what kind of dollars were involved to make the conversion?
Thanks for anyone who might have knowledge and experience with this matter.
Jim

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you are specifically discussing the NT I have never tried the conversion or read about anyone attempting it however my opinion it would be pretty expensive assuming you could still get all the components.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I looked at for a while... until I realized a new wiring harness is required, new fuse blocks, all the mechanical parts and the expense was approaching the price of simply buying a Nt700V with ABS. It would have required at least 2 weeks of work stripping it done to pull a new harness.

If I really wanted a red NT700V with ABS it would be less work and cheaper to buy a silver one with ABS and swap plastics, keep the Red ABs and re-sell a silver non-ABS.

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks guys. I think you're right about the amount of expense and shop labor. While I do a lot of my own maintenance and repairs, I think this sort of job would be one for an expert. So, I'll just keep practicing my panic stops and hope I never really need them.
Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim, having had my ABS save my bacon a couple of times, I think the biggest thing is keeping your emergency stops from being panic stops. Everybody says " squeeze," don't grab your brakes. Both times I caused ABS to activate, a woman (no misogynism implied!) ran in front of me at very close range. I confess that both times I grabbed the brakes. I also think that if I had squeezed them, I would have hit their cars. If I had grabbed them, both times I'm convinced I would have gone down since the first time, I was on a wet brick street and the second time I was just on a wet road in the middle of fog and light rain. I haven't activated the ABS since August of '13, but I'd hate to be without it.

As far as having a red NT, I've wondered about a vinyl wrap. Does anyone know what that would cost?

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks Phil. I'll just have to keep my eye open for a RED ABS, for now.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Good luck on finding a Red ABS. I think its going to be a long wait.
Somewhere on the planet someone may have gone to the time and expense to convert a red NT to ABS, but I doubt it. Was the Bloom Red available with ABS across the pond?

Mike

There was an NT that had been wrecked about 8 months ago that sold for something like a couple hundred dollars. I wonder if it had ABS on it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In the US the 2010 red NT did not come with ABS so I doubt if the wrecked one had it.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
On ST Owners a guy worked on converting a non-ABS bike to ABS (can’t recall if it was an ST1100 or a 1300) and had found it an extremely difficult task indeed.
The Honda linked-ABS system is very advanced and highly capable - but it is really complex with pipes and hoses all over the bike, extra sensors and of course the pump, secondary master cylinder on the right front fork leg and special callipers front and rear.

in the end....a pretty tough job.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
I confess that both times I grabbed the brakes. I also think that if I had squeezed them, I would have hit their cars. If I had grabbed them, both times I'm convinced I would have gone down since the first time, I was on a wet brick street and the second time I was just on a wet road in the middle of fog and light rain. I haven't activated the ABS since August of '13, but I'd hate to be without it.
Phil,
What kind of feedback occurs during a stop with ABS activated? Does the brake pedal/lever pulse, the ABS lamp illuminates, or maybe an audible warning is heard?

My Black beauty with ABS has given me many many miles of enjoyment but I can only remember abs activating once or twice..maybe it will save my life someday, but as of yet I wouldn't go the extra yard insisting that I need to have it...I feel I like I need to always be in total control and when it kicks in it seems to actuate a little too soon and gives me the wtf feeling....don't really like it.....

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Reniram - that’s interesting. I have never ridden an ABS bike so that’s good info! Thanks, Jim

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
All those bits and pieces are fairly easy to install when the bike is mostly a bare frame going down the assembly line but having to do it on a bike that is fully assembled and road worthy is quite another story. I have to wonder if threaded lugs used to secure ABS piping and other parts are even provided on non-ABS bikes? And is the ECM (main computer) different between the two models?

Easy answer is to find a used ABS bike and buy it! And if you really want bloom red, just swap the plastic between bikes.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Phil,
What kind of feedback occurs during a stop with ABS activated? Does the brake pedal/lever pulse, the ABS lamp illuminates, or maybe an audible warning is heard?
I felt the ABS pulse slightly through the brake lever and pedal. There may have been some sound effect, but there wasn't any kind of audible warning. I have no idea if the ABS lamp came on -- I was busy watching those cars get closer and closer! In the first case, three of us were riding through Middletown, IA, after a torrential rain when a woman ran a red light after my friends got through it. I was doing 30mph on a wet brick street, grabbed the brakes and missed her by maybe 6-10 feet.

The second ABS episode happened in Eddie's Cove, Newfoundland, in thick fog and light rain. The speed limit was 40kph and I was doing maybe 42-43kph (a tad over 25mph), when a woman who was leaving the Eddie's Cove Grocery store looked at me and then pulled out. Again I grabbed the brakes and missed her rear fender by maybe a foot, maybe less than that. She proceeded happily on down the road at 25-30mph and I followed along. About 5 miles farther along, she pulled into another grocery store and I pulled in behind her and asked if I could talk to her.

She said, "In the rain?" I told her it would only take a minute and asked if she knew how close we came to colliding. She was shocked and said that she hadn't seen me. And she told me that her husband rode a motorcycle and she'd never hurt a motorcyclist. I suggested that she sure could hurt one if she didn't pay better attention. She apologized profusely and I went on my way to L'anse Aux Meadows.

Top Bottom