noob from the deep south

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Greetings!

Recently a long-time friend bought an NT, then one turned up in a local dealership so I'm at least looking at the model. I am phasing out of a Gold Wing but previously owned BMW K and R bikes, so the sport-touring niche is familiar to me. Not sure yet where I'll land, but the choices are down to an NT or another V-Strom.

In terms of personal introduction: Real name is Rick. Married for over 40 years. Blessed with two (grown) children and 3 grands. Ordinary guy just doing life in America. Except for an occasional glass of wine, or perhaps a therapeutic dose of Dewar's White Label, motorcycling is my only vice!

Nice place you all have here. Thanks are in order to the admins and netizens for making it an interesting and useful resource.

Happy New Year, and best wishes to all!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Welcome, Rick! We're glad to have you with us, no matter whether you end up with an NT or the V-Strom. Personally, I'm an NT fan and the one I've got now will be the last bike I ever own. I've had two and put 139,000 on #1 before trading it in the summer of '20 for one that's actually a few serial numbers older, but only had 22K when I bought it. Good luck with your choice!

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So 1 year, 4 months, and 27 days after my initial post, I finally bought an NT. It came to me via a long-time friend whose health prompted selling the bike. He spent many enjoyable hours on the bike; I plan to treat it well and do likewise.

It took about 10 miles to feel completely at home on with the controls and on the road. In terms of style and comfort it reminds me of a fondly remembered BMW R1100RT, but in terms of balance and handling it invokes memories of a VStrom 650 that I owned for a while. Absolutely effortless to ride, with adequate power, responsive handling, and a natural riding position.

Again, I'm appreciative of the resources and brain-trust represented by the discussions and members at this site. I'll try and add-to in ways that build the body of knowledge and respect the work done to date.

Best to all,

Rick

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So 1 year, 4 months, and 27 days after my initial post, I finally bought an NT. It came to me via a long-time friend whose health prompted selling the bike. He spent many enjoyable hours on the bike; I plan to treat it well and do likewise.

It took about 10 miles to feel completely at home on with the controls and on the road. In terms of style and comfort it reminds me of a fondly remembered BMW R1100RT, but in terms of balance and handling it invokes memories of a VStrom 650 that I owned for a while. Absolutely effortless to ride, with adequate power, responsive handling, and a natural riding position.

Again, I'm appreciative of the resources and brain-trust represented by the discussions and members at this site. I'll try and add-to in ways that build the body of knowledge and respect the work done to date.

Best to all,

Rick
If I couldnt have a VFR and had to have only one bike, the NT with Big lids and a real luggage rack could take me to my grave....but I traded it in for a new left over 2015 VFR with Panniers and bar risers, and also have a FJR and Vstrom. I dont miss the NT, but I am glad I had the years I did with it. Just like my Connie C 10 I had.
ready to tour.jpg

a chris.jpg

Best to all,

Rick
I'm thinking about an NT myself, and am interested in your initial impressions. I'm wondering if "adequate power" means that it isn't overwhelming. I'm used to the power that my 1000cc 4 cylinder '78 GL makes, but that's ancient carbureted technology. The lower displacement modern engines on bikes these days are considerably quicker. I'm not looking for a rice rocket, but I do want a bike that will provide a very spirited ride on back roads and twisties. Also, I'm curious to know if you have taken a passenger on it and if they were comfortable and not bogging down the bike with the additional weight.

Enjoy the ride - it sounds like you're happy with it so far.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'm a wordsmith by nature and training so I'm making notes for just such a post (initial impressions).

Likewise, I am downsizing from a GL1800, which is in fact a crotch rocket on steroids. So I expect to be underwhelmed for a while until I adjust to the V-twin.

By adequate power I mean peppy enough to stay with and stay safe in traffic.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It has about 55 Hp at the rear wheel and it weighs close to 600 lbs so it’s no rocket however I never had a situation where I needed more horsepower.

Top Bottom