Note/Question on tire maintenance

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just an FYI. We are selling a neibhbor our derilict 2004 Subaru outback (240,000 miles) for $1.
I feel bad about taking the guy's money.
I am tired of having it for a lawn ornement. The only thing it is good for is hauling wood around the property and checking my bike jump packs when the battery dies.

The engine runs. That is the good news.
Of the many things that dont work, the tires were made in 2012. They are almost down to the wearbars.

My NT tires are just at about 5 years old now. They probably went on 3 years ago.

I dont know how much truth there is in the advice that all bike tires need to be replaced after five years of age.
Any SAE type evidence that the tires should be replaced say every 6 years even if they were stored inside out of the sun?
I am all for safety. But if the real world deterioration is miniscule, I might go to 7. Depends on evidence

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
From what I understand tires (and all rubber) is affected by sunlight and Ozone. Ozone can come from electric motors, especially big ones. So if you car is parked next to a big air compressor or air conditioner that can add to deterioration of rubber. I've had lots of dry rot on trailer tires which are parked out year round and take lots of sunlight.

Also I had cracks develop on my motorcycle tire when it was one year old. It was a 2016 model that had tires which were made in 2013 and failed in 2017. No air loss or flat, I just didn't like the looks of them.14493

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
on my 2nd NT, I wore the tires down to replacement at 8 yr old tires, didn't feel any difference in handling. they just wore out faster than 1st NT

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
From what I understand tires (and all rubber) is affected by sunlight and Ozone. Ozone can come from electric motors, especially big ones. So if you car is parked next to a big air compressor or air conditioner that can add to deterioration of rubber. I've had lots of dry rot on trailer tires which are parked out year round and take lots of sunlight.

Also I had cracks develop on my motorcycle tire when it was one year old. It was a 2016 model that had tires which were made in 2013 and failed in 2017. No air loss or flat, I just didn't like the looks of them.14493
Thanks! Yes, ozone is bad. Frosty says to always check the date of the actual tires you are buying and pass on the old ones.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Interesting subject raised here. I am going through the same thoughts myself.
The reason is that the front tyre on my NT is almost due for replacement at 25,oookm.
It is a Michelin Pilot Active Bias Belted tyre which I absolutely love.
I have tried the PR4 and did not like them although they lasted 27,ooo+ km.
I don't want to go back to the Radial tyres as I believe that the bike handles a lot better this way.
In particular, the PR4s were very unsettled on "tar snakes", "ball bearing gravel" and white lines, whereas the PA does not react at all to them.
The problem I have is that Michelin have stopped making the Pilot Activ and I can only find two for sale here in OZ.
One has a manufacture date of 3714 which is the same as the one that is coming off and is from the same supplier (same batch of tyres).
As for the other one, the supplier will not tell me the manufacture date.
The supplier of the 3714 has offered me a sizeable discount if I buy his last unit but I am reluctant to buy an almost 5 YO tyre.
The worn one, still on the bike still grips like crazy, feels great and has no cracking evident.
I am undecided as to whether I should take a punt (Aussie slang there) and hope to get 50% tread use out of the new one before it cracks up or find something else which I may not be happy with. It would be about 8 or 9 years old by the time it wears out fully.
I am a big Michelin fan as I believe that they make the best bike tyres except for the PR4.
A new PR5 is double the price here.
I know many of you like the PR4s but our roads are a lot different to yours.
Thoughts appreciated.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
When I was a kid, I spent lots of time in junkyards looking for parts I needed to build my drag racing car. One such yard was long and narrow with the derelict cars sitting on either side of a single, narrow, well-greased dirt path. They had a stripped down Plymouth (or Dodge?) 6 to run up-and-down that lane so they only used 1st & reverse gears. The body was stripped off and the interior only had a front seat sitting on a bare frame.

Chris - if it's still there, you can donate your Suby to that yard. More than likely it now has condos or townhouses sitting on that lot in LA.
:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting subject raised here. I am going through the same thoughts myself.
The reason is that the front tyre on my NT is almost due for replacement at 25,oookm.
It is a Michelin Pilot Active Bias Belted tyre which I absolutely love.
I have tried the PR4 and did not like them although they lasted 27,ooo+ km.
I don't want to go back to the Radial tyres as I believe that the bike handles a lot better this way.
In particular, the PR4s were very unsettled on "tar snakes", "ball bearing gravel" and white lines, whereas the PA does not react at all to them.
The problem I have is that Michelin have stopped making the Pilot Activ and I can only find two for sale here in OZ.
One has a manufacture date of 3714 which is the same as the one that is coming off and is from the same supplier (same batch of tyres).
As for the other one, the supplier will not tell me the manufacture date.
The supplier of the 3714 has offered me a sizeable discount if I buy his last unit but I am reluctant to buy an almost 5 YO tyre.
The worn one, still on the bike still grips like crazy, feels great and has no cracking evident.
I am undecided as to whether I should take a punt (Aussie slang there) and hope to get 50% tread use out of the new one before it cracks up or find something else which I may not be happy with. It would be about 8 or 9 years old by the time it wears out fully.
I am a big Michelin fan as I believe that they make the best bike tyres except for the PR4.
A new PR5 is double the price here.
I know many of you like the PR4s but our roads are a lot different to yours.
Thoughts appreciated.

Macka
Thought one. If someone tried to sell me a new tire five years old, I would offer them 25 cents on the dollar if you wanted to risk it. I wouldnt want to risk it personallly. I also wear a helmet. Personally, I like Michelins and have PR4s now. I have no complaints. I am buying 5s.

The risk in old tires might be multi faceted. There could be tread/belt separation inside. When I was working for the state patrol, the fleet manager of the patrol warned us that if our spare had never been down and was 5 years old or more, to not drive over 50 mph if we needed it as they was a chance that they would expload under high load/fast running.

Just FYI. Walmart will not mount car tires over 5 years old. And local harley dealer says they remove new tires from stock that are over 5 years old.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Last set of new Michelin tires mounted on the car had a manufacture date several years old. They are expensive tires and I was not happy. I checked with Michelin and they recommend (?) not mounting tires more than 4 years after manufacturing.
Obviously motorcycle tires are more critical when considering the results of a failure.

Top Bottom