Nov 10 is Marine Corps birthday!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
246 yrs ago a few guys in Tun's Tavern overimbibed and came up with the crazy idea of climbing the masts on sailing ships and shooting down at British warships and so was born the US Marine Corps. Semper Fi fellow grunts. :)

I went looking for Tun's Tavern years ago while in Philly and discovered it was torn down eons ago and they put I-95 over the top! The restaurant at the Marine Corps museum in Triangle, VA is called "Tun's Tavern" and it's less than 10-min from Quantico.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank each of you for your service, regardless of which branch you joined. Many of you have brothers and sisters who didn't make it back, in part or in whole. I know my freedom, my way of life, my ability to saddle up and ride without much concern is due in no small part to your service.

You will always have my deepest respect whether you joined as a volunteer or were drafted like so many were during Vietnam.

Kindest regards, Randy

The Royal Marines were multi functional
In the days of sail, boarding an enemy was always a possibility, or repelling a boarding force......I wouldnt swear this on a bible but when a Columbian drug smuggling "submarine" was boarded, it was the first time since the war of 1812. But of course there were other incidents, like boarding the U505 at the end of WWII.

My Uncle was a Marine in the PTO. One night someone came into his tent and he shot him, not knowing if he was friend or foe. It was a Japanese soldier.
God Bless all our Marines and all our service folk around the world. On Guam, there are still 1700 Marines with more being rotated in and out.....
Guam 1944.jpg

Back
Top Bottom