Now I Know Why It Is Called A Wee-Strom....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Originally Posted by Gandalf As soon as I bought my new DL1000, I wondered if I should have bought the 650!"

Yes.
That's what I've always heard. At the 2005 Iron Butt Association in Denver, there were 2-3 1000s and a couple of 650s, and the consensus was that the 650 was a much more satisfying machine.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I think the Wee DL650 might just be a WEEee bit easer to ride then the NT. Just say'en.
After riding them "back to back" around the same 70 mile loop I am inclined to agree... The Wee definitely feels faster and more agile, just like I wanted :D, since it isn't lugging all the tupperware that makes the NT a great sport Tourer... When my Suzuki OEM luggage arrives and is mounted I'll see how much that knocks off the "faster" and more "agile" feeling.

Two different bikes, for two different purposes, but they can overlap if you tweak the Wee... When I get done farkling I'll probably have a nice pair of mid-sizes bikes set up as a sport Tourer NT and a Sport tourer Wee...

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
After riding them "back to back" around the same 70 mile loop I am inclined to agree... The Wee definitely feels faster and more agile, just like I wanted :D, since it isn't lugging all the tupperware that makes the NT a great sport Tourer... When my Suzuki OEM luggage arrives and is mounted I'll see how much that knocks off the "faster" and more "agile" feeling.

Two different bikes, for two different purposes, but they can overlap if you tweak the Wee... When I get done farkling I'll probably have a nice pair of mid-sizes bikes set up as a sport Tourer NT and a Sport tourer Wee...
Here is a couple of pictures of mine all dress up.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Here is a couple of pictures of mine all dress up.
One of the things I like about the NT is how close the luggage carriers are to the body even with the larger side cases. When I look at picture of bikers with the add on luggage it seems like it sticks out a mile. It might not cause any real world problems but I just don't like the look of it. It seems like you would have to be careful with your clearance in tight spaces.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
One of the things I like about the NT is how close the luggage carriers are to the body even with the larger side cases. When I look at picture of bikers with the add on luggage it seems like it sticks out a mile. It might not cause any real world problems but I just don't like the look of it. It seems like you would have to be careful with your clearance in tight spaces.
That is true, The Wee with after market bags do stick out a bit and MPG do suffer. That is why I don't ride the Wee with the bags much. Two or Three times a year. Most of the riding with the Wee is as follows:

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I agree... Even with my Large Lids I don't think the NT is that large. After I get my Suzuki OEM luggage installed I'll see what a tape measure says about being "broad in the beam"....

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Chuck,

What brand and model tail bag is in that photo? And does it look like it would fit the NT?

Thanks,

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thanks, I'm looking for a bag to swap between bikes, to carry my tools, tire repair kit, etc..., and that just may be the one...off to eBay...:D

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great pic all. I like looking at the different solutions. I also like the svelte look and feel of the NT. The stock bags and my added 40L trunk provide what seems, at this point, plenty of space for long weekend type travel.

BTW, Chuck, what seat is that on your Wee Strom?

As always, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Great pic all. I like looking at the different solutions. I also like the svelte look and feel of the NT. The stock bags and my added 40L trunk provide what seems, at this point, plenty of space for long weekend type travel.

BTW, Chuck, what seat is that on your Wee Strom?

As always, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck
It is a Rick Mayer seat. I plan on getting one for the NT also.

elizilla

The svelte rear luggage is the thing I will miss most about the NT. Except when I am changing the rear tire, then I won't miss the NT's bags at all. :)

elizilla

Wayne, you wanted to know about the Altrider stuff. The crash bars arrived on Tuesday and I finally got them installed. It was a two person job - they fit pretty well but it's awkward work. They are super solid and they look really massive - the bike bristles! I think they will protect it well, which is good since I'm a runner-up in the SAD race. The fit and finish is good. They are not symmetrical on the Super10 but I am sure that's as designed. The bike itself is not symmetrical either - its side covers are different sizes, cover different things, and attach differently. The bars are designed so that the side covers are protected, but they can be removed without removing the bars. Which is good; it would be awkward to have to take them off regularly for maintenance. The bars do not have any brazed-in mount points for driving lights or highway pegs - if you were adding something like that you'd need a wraparound clamp for it.

I like them. I can worry less about the potential for stop and drop, so I can be braver about taking it into dicey places.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thanks for the update Katherine. According to the FedEx website my crash bars and sliders kit have now made it to Memphis. I should have them by Monday or Tuesday I hope...

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The NT is definitely the better long haul highway bike with all of its "tupperware" to protect you and haul a lot of "stuff". But the Wee has a much better, adjustable suspension where the NT is pretty basic. I have a Cee Bailey +2 "flip" on the NT, for the Wee I went with the Magstad adjustable brackets and a PWD shelf combo using the original windshield. I have not had a chance to play with it much but it definitely gives you a zillion different position. I agree, they are both enjoyable rides...:D

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
One down side to the Wee is that to check/adjust valves, the radiator needs to come out. Even then there is still not a lot of room. It is going to be a real chore to pull the cams (Shim under bucket) if a valve need to be changed. Also to do a throttle valve sync, one needs to take it to the dealer. They have the special piece of test equipment called a SDS tool. I have not found a do it yourself procedure yet. Lucky it does not go out of adjustment much. Of the bikes I have, 03 ST1300, 10 NT700, 09 DL650. The ST is the easiest to work on. We won't count the 97 KLR. But then maybe, because I have had the ST pushing 9 years now. If I had to choose between the Wee and the NT, I think the Wee would be it. But barely, Both have their Pros and Cons, but finish very close to each other. (It is a good thing I don't have to choose)
Both will do the long haul but the NT is a turn key operation. It all come down to personal preference. If I rally had to choose between the four bikes of mine, the ST really wins. Again it is a good thing I don't have to choose.

Top Bottom