now it's a fork seal

I took the NT out yesterday for a real nice spring ride. Little over 300 miles. Last fall I had to replace the crank position sensor, then BOTH rear brake switches failed the same day....weird. Then I installed a new set of Dunlops. I was ready for a carefree summer, but noooooo. When I got home, there were some strange wet spots on the radiator shroud. This morning I checked and the radiator and its plumbing is fine. The wet spots were fork oil from my left fork:( Oh well, considering the age, I guess this isn't too unusual. I've replaced seals before. I have the new parts ordered.

Just wanted to vent:p

Cliff

Bike
2010 NT700V
Before you rip them out, have you tried cleaning the leaking seal? Stuff can get down in between the seal and tube causing a leak. I carry a Seal Doctor on long trips for this reason.

A long trip on my NT a few years ago I actually forgot the seal cleaner tool. Of course a leak started in nowhere New Mexico on I-40. I pulled over at a rest stop and fashioned a seal cleaner from an expired medical insurance card by snipping it with some wire cutters. Seal was fine for thousands of miles after. Keeping fork tubes clean on the road I carry microfiber cloth and a can of Honda spray cleaner/polish.

Bike
2010 NT700V
They are cheap and work, but can be quite annoying to deploy successfully. Especially when you're on the side of the road in sweltering temps with sweaty hands. No amount of cursing makes it easier.

I highly recommend the small Seal Doctor for the NT. Pry up the dust seal, wipe the fork clean. Clip the tool on the fork, plunge the "oil seal" end down. Use the knurled edges molded into the plastic to turn the tool and scoop out the nasties. The other end can be used on the dust seal.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
They are cheap and work, but can be quite annoying to deploy successfully. Especially when you're on the side of the road in sweltering temps with sweaty hands. No amount of cursing makes it easier.

I highly recommend the small Seal Doctor for the NT. Pry up the dust seal, wipe the fork clean. Clip the tool on the fork, plunge the "oil seal" end down. Use the knurled edges molded into the plastic to turn the tool and scoop out the nasties. The other end can be used on the dust seal.

I had never seen that one before, definitely looks like an easier one to use.

OP
OP
cliffh
Well guys, thanks for your input. I have been riding for 60 years and have well over 400,000 miles on motorcycles, but I had never heard of a fork seal cleaning tool. I fabricated one quickly, used it, then went for a 50 mile ride on the worst roads I could find. Absolutely no oil seepage!

I love it when things work out so easily:thumb:

I still have a new set of seals coming, but they will be shelf queens unless things start to seep again.

Cliff

Last edited:
Reactions: ett

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I still have a new set of seals coming, but they will be shelf queens unless thing start to seep again.
IT COULD BE MORE THAN JUST SEALS. I have just started my 3rd time of fork seals. 2 on Silver NT, and 1 now on Red NT. There are also copper bushings in there (2 different ones) that might also need replaced. You will see wear marks on them. My independent mechanic says that the copper bushings wearing go into oil, then start to make seals leak

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't had any fork seal trouble since I added a set of Triump fork gaiters to my NT at around 100K miles.

Top Bottom