Nt 700 Head light problems

David Hellens

I was interested to read the comments concerning the intermitted head light failure problem on NT 700's
My machine which I love dearly has 40 K miles on the clock and is regularly serviced by a Honda dealer but is now 9 years old.

Last summer suddenly the head lamp started to play up exactly the same type of symptoms discussed in the form
either nothing on key turn which could sometimes be overcome during the engine start
or
Just went off while riding

Dealer changed bulb did not fix problem and sucked through teeth in terms of cost of finding the fault.

Taking my courage in my hands I sprayed liberal amounts of electrical contact cleaner into every gap I could find on the light switch
Result happiness !

I now carry a can in the top box
Occasionally if I have not been using the bike for a bit the problem returns but is sorted by some good squirts.

I suspect the contacts have some corrosion and if I was to take it to bits and clean everything up or even replace the switch all would be well.
It rains a lot here and although she lives in a garage over the years of wet riding plenty of water will have got in and clearly something has corroded
Thank goodness for electrical contact spray !

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
David was you problem in the light switch (hi/low beam) or was it in the starter button?
It seems more people have issues with the starter button contact that shuts off headlamp while cranking engine over.

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
David was your problem in the light switch (hi/low beam) or was it in the starter button?
It seems more people have issues with the starter button contact that shuts off headlamp while cranking the engine over.

Brad
Some countries have a switch that allows them to turn off the lights. Here in the US, the starter switch has been a cut off for the headlight on all Hondas manufactured after 1975, there are have been a few exceptions here and there over the recent years.

David might have to disassemble the switch assembly and apply some dielectric grease on all over the contacts to prevent future corrosion. Sounds like the grease dried up and wore off some of the contacts.

Top Bottom