NT 700 V Boosterplug

Robert Hallas

Hi guys, has anybody fitted a Boosterplug to their Nt 700 V? If so, how was it? Does it make your bike better to ride? Does it smooth out the throttle? I am thinking of fitting one to my NT 700 V 2011, and was wondering if it was worth the money? Thanks šŸ˜ŽšŸ

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have not fitted one and would not. I highly doubt anything like that can do much for the engine that Honda has not already done. Of course there is nothing stopping you from being the first to give it a go and reporting back to the group if it is worthwhile.

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
Never heard of a Boosterplug but there are devices which plug into the wiring loom and disable the lambda sensor in the exhaust. The varying response of the sensor is replaced by a 20 pence resistor, which misleads the engine management into making the petrol/air mixture richer. It increases fuel consumption and means that you do not twist your right hand as far.

If you wish to pollute then do a little research and splash out the 20 pence.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
What wrong with the throttle or throttle response?

If you're coming off a bike that had carbs, then yes the Fi is very sensitive to the touch and can make the bike feel too nervous but that's a gripe common for most bikes with Fi.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I've always wonder when someone who has recently joined this or any of the other motorcycle, automotive, or RV forums I belong to and has never previously posted or replied to anything, are they planting a seed to help tickle the sales of a product they have a vested interest in?
Forgive me if I am wrong this time, it's just my skeptical nature.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For what its worth. The company is in Denmark. The cost is $159 US. Description below. I really didn't find that my NT700V experienced any of the issues mentioned below due to the lean fuel mixture. It sounds more like some of the problems that Harley V twin motors have.

HONDA 700 SERIES

The Honda twin cylinder bikes are excellent multi purpose bikes, but the very lean running engines makes the riding experience less than perfect.
Nobody wants a bike with poor throttle action or one that easily stalls at low RPM's, but unfortunately this is the result of the lean air/fuel mixture.
The BoosterPlug will provide a small controlled fuel enrichment in the areas where you need it most, and is known as a brilliant cure to the lean running fuelling issues that all modern bikes are having

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've always wonder when someone who has recently joined this or any of the other motorcycle, automotive, or RV forums I belong to and has never previously posted or replied to anything, are they planting a seed to help tickle the sales of a product they have a vested interest in?
Forgive me if I am wrong this time, it's just my skeptical nature.
I don't guess you can absolutely rule this out, but Robert joined the Forum in January and he lives in Devon. My guess is that he's innocent of using the Forum for personal gain.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a friend who is an automotive instructor and he installed a Power Commander on his wife's NT. After a few months it removed it and offered it to me but I politely said "no thanks." When asked how it worked on the NT, he summed it up by saying it got worse fuel economy and didn't do much else.

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
Considering the issue of image management, searching ā€˜Booster Plugā€™ on YouTube returns a surprising number of what, at first glance appear, to be positive reports. The term ā€˜first glanceā€™ is used because the actual footage is not viewed.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
Installing a power commander is frequently just part of an attempt to enhance performance. Modifying the exhaust and airbox can also help. I've tried some or all of that on other, more performance oriented bikes. I've accepted the ho hum performance of the NT as part of the package. The only performance mod I'm considering is front and rear suspension.

bicyclist

I owned a BMW F800ST. That bike had very lean fueling at idle and was easy to stall. A Boosterplug did, in fact, improve the way the bike ran. The guy who invented it and originally sold it also owned an F800ST and developed it for that bike. He eventually passed the business on to someone else. What the device did was fool the fuel injection into thinking that the engine was colder than it actually was so that it would enrich the mixture, curing the lean stumble. It was a simple device consisting of a resistor and another component that I forget. It was set up to only affect the lean part of the fuel injection map. After someone cut one open and revealed the circuit, others copied the basic idea but used only a resistor which had the effect of enriching the entire map causing fuel consumption to rise. While it worked for the F800ST, the Boosterplug is grossly overpriced for what it is.

The NT has none of the fueling problems of the F800 and absolutely does not need a Boosterplug.

I confirm, I had one set up on the NT700 for 2 years.
I just removed it.

I hear more small explosions in the Delkevic when I cut the throttle, but I find the bike much less 'soft'.
I prefer.

I've heard some bikers have noted a slight improvement with this similar, but adjustable product. And it's somewhat cheaper ;) Ā£93

I installed this device. I found the bike to feel stronger in the +3-+6 settings. Unfortunately I believe it contributed to contamination of my motor oil with gasoline. My mechanic saidā€ unless you modify your exhaust and other components, leave the bike stock!ā€ Switching to a K&N air filter was the only modification he approved of. I realized the bike is wonderful at what it does. If I want more power then a different bike is the solution.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The K&N filter won't increase the power either. The OE filter delivers enough air flow to a stock engine. Save your dough!

Mike

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
The K&N filter won't increase the power either. The OE filter delivers enough air flow to a stock engine. Save your dough!

Mike
K&N and stock filter are similar price :eek:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
The K&N would have the advantage then since it is reusuable. However in several independent tests it was proven to be considerably less effective in filtering out particulates. Here is one such example...

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better) (nicoclub.com)

It will take a bit of time to read, but the info is worth it.

Mike
Nice scientific article.

But, my wife's car has been running K&N for like last 10+ years and ~125k miles and no issues. She is not a performance driver though. The original owner (i think he was a LEO ) had installed it + a few other performance parts , so I am assuming he drove the car hard.

I did end up buying the K&N for the NT (its in the mail as of now) as I felt that it will keep some more trash out of the landfills + our NTs are fair road ride, so encounter less dirt than my GS.

Sunny

some where in NH jungle ...
1635344128090.png

Top Bottom