NT, Scooter or Motorcycle?

Bike
Silver NT700V
Harleys get a bad rep because of what the riders do to them. There have to be tons of Harley mufflers all over the US. Stock Harleys sound quite nice--not too loud. I would not mind having a Sportster with stock pipes to ride around town.
I also like the sound STOCK Harleys make. A nice soft low rumble. Get a thousand together and it is awesome. Experienced that at Fairfax HD in Virginia for the Rolling Thunder rally.

Bike
Silver NT700V
BTW, there's nothing wrong with scooters, I think they're really cool. I'd love to have a restored old Lambretta or Vespa.
that would be cool, too. Bajaj, Indian co., used to make a clone of the Vespa. Don't know if thay still do.

twowheels2005

that would be cool, too. Bajaj, Indian co., used to make a clone of the Vespa. Don't know if thay still do.
Bajaj India gave up on the Vespa clone a couple of years ago; it was called the Chetak. Used to have one and it was basically indestructible! These days you'd be looking for a Genuine Scooter 'Stella', made by LML and imported by Genuine Scooter Co.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Didja' notice that one of the Cycle Trader listings called the NT a "moped?"

jscott1

The difference is moot. In Texas anyway. Anything over 150 cc is considered a motorcycle. I started out wanting a scooter, but if I have to take and pass the motorcycle class, might as well ride a "real" motorcycle.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd sure think that a "real" motorcycle would be more satisfying and probably safer in Houston traffic. I would hate to try riding a 50cc scooter there.

In the last few years, we've gotten quite a bunch of small scooters here in our little town. But our rush hour only lasts about 5 minutes.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My prediction is that Harley's best days are behind them and as the cruiser craze passes into history so will they.

Last edited:

tawilke46

My prediction is that's Harley's best days are behind them and as the cruiser craze passes into history so will they.
At least half of the motorcycles for sale here on an average week in the paper are Harleys. Most do not have many miles on them.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Mopeds are usually defined as under 50cc, 3 hp, 30 mph max speed. Anything more requires a license.

Jonathan, where in Houston are you? Come on some of the TWT pie runs if you can. We like to have a few NTs represented. I am west of town in the Bear Creek area.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My prediction is that Harley's best days are behind them and as the cruiser craze passes into history so will they.
People have said that for decades. Then another generation "finds" them and they sell even more bikes. Right now my son's generation (30's) are now getting into Harley's. They seem to be split on little hot cars or Harleys', both also an image thing, with the clothes and such to match. Both are "bad boy" images counter to their day jobs.

And there are a lot of harleys on sale on any day. How much of a percentage of total harley bikes out there is that? Probably less of a percentage than squid bikes and more than Gold Wings. I'd bet about the same percentage as beemers.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If the "cruiser craze" "passes in to history" I predict we won't be able to easily find a Honda, or any other Japanese brand, motorcycle dealership since the majority of all their new bikes sold are "cruisers". Take away the customers and the revenue "cruisers" bring in and the Japanese manufactures would all be in trouble... And if Harley went away who would Honda's styling group have to emulate?

Harley has been making "cruisers" longer than any Japanese manufacture has even existed. The Japanese manufactures starting heavily copying Harley's "cruiser" styling in the late Seventies / early Eighty's... So the "cruiser craze" has been going on for at least thirty years. Maybe, as distasteful as it may be, it is time to admit the "cruiser" style is the de facto market "standard". While the saying "Chrome Won't Get You Home" is true Chrome, as in "cruisers", pays the bills and keeps the dealers doors open for the rest of us...

At least half of the motorcycles for sale here on an average week in the paper are Harleys. Most do not have many miles on them.
With out any doubt Harley leads the "Garage Candy" market. :D Go on to eBay, list all the Harleys and then sort by "Mileage", lowest to highest, and then take a look at the "Year". :eek1: It isn't hard to find a ten year old Harley "cruiser" with less than five thousand miles...and with five thousand dollars of farkles. :rolleyes1:

Touring models, anything beginning with "FL" in the model name are another issue, those aren't too common with low miles... If you want a good deal on a used Harley they aren't hard to find if you can convince the current owner of the economic realities of what a used bike is really worth. You should be able to pick up that used Sportster for a good price...just make sure it is a 1200cc not a 883cc...:wink:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'd sure think that a "real" motorcycle would be more satisfying and probably safer in Houston traffic. I would hate to try riding a 50cc scooter there.
You got that right! I am in Houston fairly often as I have a daughter doing doctoral work at the University of Houston. Though I ride a "Big Boy's Scooter" (Suzuki Burgman 400), the traffic on I-45 on the south side of town is spooky. My daughter has thought of getting a small scooter, but that would scare me to death to have her riding a 125cc scoot in that traffic.

With out any doubt Harley leads the "Garage Candy" market. :D
I took a recent ride on my Burgman 400 from here in deep south Texas to Las Vegas. While riding through Arizona, I stopped for gas and got to talking with some Harley riders. Nice guys. After fielding the usual "You rode that from Texas?", I found out that one of them had owned his bike for seven years and had 5,000 miles on it. By contrast, I am just about to turn 30,000 miles on my Suzuki and I have owned it for two years.

I am really looking forward to taking delivery of my new 2010 NT next week - and seeing how many miles I put on it in two years.

Top Bottom