NT650 on TV

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I presume this is UK television, but I don't think I've ever seen an NT of either kind on a network program:

In the early 2000s, a friend brought a 650 Deauville into the country from the UK for his wife via the gray market route and did get it licensed. A few years later he got divorced and wanted to sell the bike but I turned down his offer. I was a lovely bike but a bit too tall for me (when stock) plus some of the parts were unobtainable here since it wasn't a US model.

The model shown appears to have a simple external latching system for the integral bags and probably 100% better than what we got!

Last edited:
I rode a new 650 Deauville for half an hour on a mountain road. It felt smaller than the 700 and more agile. The motor was very smooth but lacked the passing power of the 700. It was an impressive bike.

I rode a new 650 Deauville for half an hour on a mountain road. It felt smaller than the 700 and more agile. The motor was very smooth but lacked the passing power of the 700. It was an impressive bike.
Not sure the NT 700 passing power was much to talk about either. Owned one along with my ST1300 for a few years. Sold the NT, traded the ST for my FJR. (Now there is some passing power).

I find the NT has plenty of passing power. I regularly am passing "sportbikes". It is all how you ride it.
I once tried to pass a truck with my NT but found that with the head wind, the throttle was already wide open!:rofl1:
Go to pass with an NT, you pray there is a God
Go to pass with a VFR Interceptor, you KNOW there is a God
Go to pass with an FJR, you can SEE God.:thumb:

This is an interesting forum. It seems to be evenly divided between people who love the bike, and people who take every opportunity to say it sucks. The latter seem to be on a mission to "inform" us lovers how inferior the NT is. Personally, I love it. It is the perfect balance between reliability, power, and comfort, and I've been riding for 40 years (you know, since I was 3...).

harryhendo, Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed my NT for the 4 years I owned it (36000 miles). Rode it all over Colorado, South Dakota, Texas and out to Pigeon Forge, Tenn for a NT get together. It is a great bike for what it was designed for. Once it's few fallacies were accepted and understood compared to the other machines that I owned it was an enjoyable ownership.

This is an interesting forum. It seems to be evenly divided between people who love the bike, and people who take every opportunity to say it sucks. The latter seem to be on a mission to "inform" us lovers how inferior the NT is. Personally, I love it. It is the perfect balance between reliability, power, and comfort, and I've been riding for 40 years (you know, since I was 3...).
I suggested it to my GF right because it's ST1100 like, "unspectacular" precise handling... due which it sold itself in the end... GF is still amazed how well that NT corners...
Yes, the ST1100 V-4 throttles away, but she's increasingly kinky on her NT700, hence rarely falls behind very far... especially in the tight, alpine back-sweep cornering we both deal pretty well with the "weekend warriors" blocking the roads... šŸ˜ (the "Granny On Tour" sticker on her topcase must really piss them off there... šŸ¤£ )

BTW due to the twin-spark system the 650 had a smoother acceleration compared to the more "aggressive" throttle response of the 700's EFI...

Back
Top Bottom