NT700 Rolling chassis photos

I'd like to see more experimentation and innovation with belt drives. Cleaner and quiet; and as H-D has shown, can be made to last a respectable time.

From what I understand, a belt-drive system has issues that tend to limit suspension travel - since the belt has to be kept under tension with an idler. Surely they could do a workaround, an output shaft in line with the swingarm pivot...?

Belt drives other than Harley were used on many Kawasakis models in the 1980s. Zero Motorcycles has been using belt drives for many of its model years.

From what I've read, the belt in a belt drive system, such as on some Harleys, can be snapped by a small rock that gets wedged between the belt and toothed pulley. That would certainly ruin your day if you were on a trip!

From what I've read, the belt in a belt drive system, such as on some Harleys, can be snapped by a small rock that gets wedged between the belt and toothed pulley. That would certainly ruin your day if you were on a trip!
I had a small (1/8 inch) pyramid shaped rock puncture the belt on the 2015 BMW 800 GT. I had to remove it with hammer and a thin punch. I bought a new belt $$$. The new belt is still hanging in the garage. The BMW dealer marked the hole to see if it would get bigger. That was 7,000 miles ago and the belt still looks good/works good.

Back
Top Bottom