NT700 sliding trunk mount.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I was watching a review on the new HD Pan-America. They use a sliding trunk mount on that bike. You can see an explanation of it's function at 11:15 of the attached video. I guess I will be reverting mine back to a sliding mount.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
i mentioned that to a friend that my 2010 Honda has that feature :)

The twisting break pedel and the LED sure look good...

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
i mentioned that to a friend that my 2010 Honda has that feature :)

The twisting break pedel and the LED sure look good...
Some serious R&D went into that bike. Lot's of forward thinking outside the box. I never owned a Harley but would love to have one of those.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
HD has got a problem, though. At least I think they do. If a bike like the Pan America (which really impresses me, even though I'm 78 yrs old and couldn't ride it because of its size and weight) starts to catch on with adventure riders I'll be surprised if it sells very few bikes among the current HD base. If their current base doesn't buy it, will the rest of the "traditional" HD riders keep them afloat while the PA and other creative and innovative bikes draw new customers?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - you hit the nail on the head! Like us, the traditional H-D base is aging rapidly and too old for a monster, towering ADV bike. And will riders who are diehard ADV fans think of buying a Harley?

As a side note, the "Long way 'round" boys are making an adventure trek & movie using the new Pan America.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
[QUOTE="
As a side note, the "Long way 'round" boys are making an adventure trek & movie using the new Pan America.
[/QUOTE]

At least this adventure makes more sense than with a Livewire. They also need to leave the support truck behind to make it an authentic adventure.

JHMO,

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I had more interest in the 300cc bike they were showing under the previous CEO. I wish them luck and will find it interesting to see how this ADV bike sells.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
Phil - you hit the nail on the head! Like us, the traditional H-D base is aging rapidly and too old for a monster, towering ADV bike. And will riders who are diehard ADV fans think of buying a Harley?

The E.U. put a 42% tariff on Harleys....even if they are made outside the US. That will effect sales in Europe I would imagine. Unfortunate.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
They are trying to make it more accessible to shorter riders if you are willing to spend the bucks. The special - about 560 lbs wet weight - with the adaptive suspension and the reach (low) seat has a seat height of 31.7” in the parked position.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
The engine in that bike is impressive, 13:1 Compression, variable valve timing, 150 HP.....I can't see them spending that much money to only use it in one model. Maybe they will put it in a street only package. The V-Rod had a wonderful engine, it was just a bad application.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...13:1 Compression, variable valve timing, 150 HP..."

I'd say those details would make it less suitable for real adventure touring where the quality of fuel available may only be suitable for farm tractors!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm guessing that the electronic engine control would be able to compensate for that. It does on BMW GS's and Ducati Multistradas.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
"...13:1 Compression, variable valve timing, 150 HP..."

I'd say those details would make it less suitable for real adventure touring where the quality of fuel available may only be suitable for farm tractors!
Quote:
Piston crowns are machined for precise control of compression ratio. The 13:1 compression ratio improves engine torque at all speeds. This high compression ratio is made possible by advanced knock detection sensors. The engine will require premium-grade (91 octane) fuel to make maximum power, but will run on lower-octane fuel and is protected from detonation by the knock sensor technology.

Top Bottom