NT700 Throttle position sensor testing and wiring investigations

Bike
NT700A Deauville in red
Hi there all, just to let members know that I’ve just posted a video on ‘Youtube’ detailing my investigations of the ‘bucking bronco’ symptoms of my NT which might be of interest to those with similar problems with their throttle position sensor.

Here is the link:
But if posting this link is not allowed it is entitled:
‘Honda NT700 (Deauville) Throttle position sensor testing and wiring investigations’
and should be fairly easy to find.
Hope it’s usefull!
Regards all, Steve P

Bike
2010 NT700V
Hi, I skipped around through your video but didn't see you attacking the throttle body subharness connector. It's between the TP sensor and ECU. I dealt with the TP sensor issue after first getting my NT in 2019. Simply cleaning the TP sensor plug, subharness connector, and reseating the ECU connectors took care of it. A bit of Ox-gard was used on the pins for the TP sensor plug and subharness connector. The code hasn't been back in 50K miles now.

Reference:
Read to end..

OP
OP
Bike
NT700A Deauville in red
Thanks for your comments (and diagrams)– Yes I did rather skip over the cleaning of this sub-harness connector didn’t I!
(I assume you are referring to the large multi-pin connector clipped to the left hand side of the frame as highlighted in the diagrams).

When I next have the tank off I will video its cleaning and add this into the video I have already posted as this was the connector I was actually MOST concerned about!!

PS. thanks for the mention of ‘Ox-Gard’ - I’d not heard of this product before and it sounds very good. I will try and get hold of some over here in the UK for future use!

Bike
2010 NT700V
The connector isn't physically that large. It's shown circled in red on first image, second image shows it's approximate location. It's clipped to the inboard side of the frame, next to the airbox.

Ox-gard is a conductive anti-oxidant paste. Really only conductive undern compression, but don't slop it on like bulb grease. I used a tooth pick and packed small amounts into the female pins of the connectors and wiped off any excess.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Some may remember I was having a problem with the TPS on my bike. MIL 8 Blinks. It turned out to be an over-voltage condition which was solved by adjusting the TP sensor until the voltage was correct. A bit of a pain as access to the Torx head bolts is very tight.

I also opened each electrical connector between the sensor and the ECM and sprayed it with contact cleaner. Even after 130,000 miles the connectors and wiring were still in good condition and not grunged up.

Pages 6-42 and 6-43 of the manual give the relevant information but I found that the Green and Orange wire in the ECM connector was in a different position (position 12 as I recall ← check this). I got 0 v when testing between A18(-) and B31(+) so I may have adjusted the TPS too far though the bike runs beautifully with no MIL Blinks. I may revisit this at the next service.

For reference: The Green/Orange wire is on the black connector and the Red/Yellow on the grey connector. You don't need the test harness, just a couple of pins to slide into the connectors to attach the voltmeter to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
NT700A Deauville in red
Hi there all, just to let members know that I’ve just posted a video on ‘Youtube’ detailing my investigations of the ‘bucking bronco’ symptoms of my NT which might be of interest to those with similar problems with their throttle position sensor.

Here is the link:
But if posting this link is not allowed it is entitled:
‘Honda NT700 (Deauville) Throttle position sensor testing and wiring investigations’
and should be fairly easy to find.
Hope it’s usefull!
Regards all, Steve P
I have now edited the video a bit and re-posted it here: (The title remains the same though)

Reactions: JQL
Top Bottom