Oil change tip. Lean the bike right a few times to get more old oil out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I bet many of you veteran motorcyclist already know this tip, but I learned it from my DR650 and applied it to the NT today. The DR650 oil drain bolt is right smack in the middle of the engine case on the bottom. When I changed the oil last time I was worried that oil would pool in the crankcase on the side it was leaned over on. So after the majority of the oil was out, I sat on the bike and leaned it from side to side as much as I could. I was amazed at how much oil came out by doing this. I think this is a "must do" to get as much of the old oil out. While I was doing this I kept wondering why suzuki didn't put the drain bolt in the same place as the NT to facilitate draining while on the side stand.

So today I was changing the oil on the NT and decided to try the same thing. By leaning the bike over to the right side as much as I could then back to the sidestand the oil started streaming out again. It was a small stream, but would last for quite awhile. I had to do this about 10 times to get it just drip out. I would wait about a minute between each "lean". It is tough to estimate but I wouldn't be surprised if I got an extra 1/2 qt of oil out of there.

I then changed the oil filter and carefully measured the oil. After doing the lean procedure to get all the oil out it took exactly 3000ml to get it right at the full mark on the dipstick. I also pre-soaked the oil filter with about 30 ml of oil and rolling it around so all the pleats could absorb the oil befroe I put it on the bike. Since it horizontal on the bike I couldn't pre-fill it like I do on my car, but I put just enough in that I could really get the material soaked without oil going everywhere when I put it on the bike. I did run it for about 2 min and then let it sit for another 2-3 minutes before checking the dipstick.

My Honda manual says 2800ml with a new oil filter but the procedure doesn't say to lean the bike over 10 times to get every last bit. I double checked the dipstick after running the bike to be sure.

This will be the second run with Rotella T6 5w40 and a honda oil filter. I meant to take an oil sample, but a neighbor came over just as I got the drain bolt loose and distracted me so I wasn't able to get the sample bottle in time. When I get back from Spearfish the oil will have at least 3500 miles on it. If I can grab a sample through the dipstick hole, I might send one in after I get back from spearfish. I want to get a good baseline with Rotella T6.

ht1648

Put the bike on the center stand and you won't have to lean the bike over.
Harry

Top Bottom