OK now Im confused

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I went window shopping at DFW's local motoboutique, MotoLiberty today, wanting to look at helmets.
Specifically, to see a Bell Evo Revolver.
I tried on a med and an XL (no large to try), and they both seemed OK?
The guy measured me and told me I am a small! (56 was the measurement)
I have never worn anything but a large and have always been happy with the fit.
So now I am totally confused

Thoughts?

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Well, I just made a huge mistake
I went back and tried on a Shoei Neotech (large, BTW and it fits perfectly)
Now I have to have it
Must...
Resist...
Resistance is futile!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The Neotec is not a bad choice at all, my wife really likes her Neotec. As for helmet sizing if you figure it out please let me know...:D I don't think their is any sizing correlation between different styles within the same brands much less between brands... I can wear a Shoei XXL in anything except a Neotec, it gives me a jaw ache within fifteen minutes of closing the chin bar.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Well, I just made a huge mistake
I went back and tried on a Shoei Neotech (large, BTW and it fits perfectly)
Now I have to have it
Must...
Resist...
Resistance is futile!
You must have been measured wrong unless your head is a strange shape. 56 is definitely a small. I measure 57 and recently purchased a Neotech in Medium. In any case if the large fits that's all that matters. If you can get by the price you will probably like the Neotech. It's a very high quality helmet with all the features you want in a flip up. Good ventilation, quiet and a great sun visor.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
the price is the killer
I don't need a new helmet. I just want one. Mine has only 18k miles on it and I have had it since last April
I need to resist

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Maybe the 56 was actually a 59 (he was standing on the wrong side of the tape).

Anyway comfort and fit are critical. I tried on all the helmets they had at the bike show in Minneapolis last winter. The Arai Signet Q was the only one I could find that fit my head, so I know what Sam is talking about. Yep - I bought it.

The Shoei is more of an average shape so maybe others helmets will fit you too. I've always been impressed with the clarity of the face shields on the Shoeis. They are a quality product.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
FWIW, I bought the Bell Evo Revolver. I think it is a great helmet and a tremendous value. However, after getting it home and wearing it for a while I became increasingly unsatisfied with the fit. Revzilla.com to the rescue! They sell replacement cheekpads in sizes 35mm to 60mm. Problem solved for $15.95. The fit is perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Congrats.

Helmet sizes are tough. My Shoei RF1100 is a large, the HJC is an XXL.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
FWIW, I bought the Bell Evo Revolver. I think it is a great helmet and a tremendous value. However, after getting it home and wearing it for a while I became increasingly unsatisfied with the fit. Revzilla.com to the rescue! They sell replacement cheekpads in sizes 35mm to 60mm. Problem solved for $15.95. The fit is perfect and I couldn't be happier.
What was the problem you had and how did you fix it
Too tight? too loose?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Last December, I was passing through St Louis MO, so I stopped at the Cycle Gear store there. Every Bilt helmet of the same size sitting side by side on the shelf were different. Good thing didn't mail order one of those.

Then, I tried on their boots. Same thing. A 9 in one style was smaller than an 8 in another style.

Even their gloves ran odd in size.

I just gave up and left the store.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I had the same problem when I tried on some of the Bilt helmets. I told the store manage of the problem and they said it was a common complaint that they relay back to the parent company. I did buy my Shoei from them.

At my local Cycle Gear I just tell them what I want. If they have it in the company inventory they will order it from the warehouse. Then I can try it on in the store before I buy it. And helmets have a good return policy as well.

Top Bottom