Original Battery

Bradkap

Has anyone replaced their battery yet ? How long should the original battery last ?

buckaz55

Mine lasted 6 weeks/735 miles. Left me stranded 45 miles from home Thanksgiving day. Honda replaced under warranty.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
Just replaced my original battery after more than 6 years (and six very cold Winters!) - the original battery is not completely dead so I've stuck it on the charger and I'll check it after the weekend. It definitely didn't want to start the bike today and as I'm going riding for the weekend I didn't want to get stranded somewhere - fortunately I had a spare sealed battery on hand!

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
Update: the original battery looks to be fully charged after about 4 hours on the charger - might still have some life left in it yet (but I'm not going to risk using it for the ride this weekend - 1575km/975mi)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It will depend on how the battery is treated. If you let it discharge to nothing a couple of times the life will be shorter. Same if you don't keep it fully charged during the winter. If you use it a lot life will be less. If you are going to let the bike sit for an extended period (month or more) then either put a battery tender on it or remove the neg lead.

I expect the battery will go for 3 or 4 years if treated well. If not, or if used in extreme conditions, maybe two.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My battery failed me after less than 2000 miles in the first riding season of my 2010 year NT. Battery must have been faulty. At first I thought I had hooked up one of my farkles wrong, and that it was draining while parked. Bought a new battery and had no more problems. Should have claimed warranty on that one.

freezingalaskan

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I run the bike enough to keep it charged. During the winter I plug the battery up to a Battery Tender Jr. and forget about it. It is fully automatic and keeps the battery at full charge. Both bikes are set up with the SAE Plug for the Tender.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My motorcycle batteries have lasted between 2 and 5 years. And the newer ones are better than the older ones were. I have always removed the batteries in the winter and stored them in my heated (40 degrees) shop. I charge them up once a month during the winter. I replace them before I have to push my motorcyle. Push starting used to be a better option before fuel injection came around.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Jim, if 40 degrees is your heated garage, I sure don't want to be in your unheated one!

Sam:)
Ya, that is why I'm too much of a wus to ride in the winter.
40 degrees just keeps my stuff from freezing.
I turn it up to 50 when I'm working in the shop.
I used to have a barrel stove in there until my insurance company told me it had to be UL approved.
Now it's propane. So I pay more to heve it colder in there. But better for the economy (not mine).

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I bought my NT in June of 2010 and the battery still cranks fine. I do ride all year and have never put the battery on a charger. I assume the bike keeps it properly charged when in use. My experience with modern cars however is that the batteries do not gradually get weaker but one day they work fine and the next they are dead. I hope that is not the case with the NT's battery. I would hate to go the parking lot a work in the winter late at night to find the battery totally kaput.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It depends on how the battery fails. Most degrade "gracefully", ie, you'll notice that it doesn't crank as fast.

But, the other method is when the precipitants short the cells. That tends to happen all at once when the battery is bumped once too often.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
During the winter I plug the battery up to a Battery Tender Jr. and forget about it. It is fully automatic and keeps the battery at full charge.
+1 on the Battery Tender Jr. Got one for the bike and one for the riding mower.

Can still ride to work 1 or 2 days a week here in Okieland. That will stop soon unless I get some better riding gear.

Top Bottom