Over 300 miles on Tank!!!

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
Standard petrol over here is 95 octane, far above the minimum requirements for most vehicles. Yet people still insist on paying the extra for the premium 98 octane stuff.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Biggest issue I have with NT mileage: Riding with someone else. 200 miles is rare with most other bikes I ride with, many 150. If I am leading I have to plan stops for them, at 200 I get about 4 gallons, at 150 I sometimes don't bother and use the john while they fill. I don't really track mileage, but I did notice at 235 miles I got 4.13 gallons on a recent trip. I find the NT especially nice in rural areas, I don't like filling at those rural stations that don't do a lot of fuel.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Macka the NT700v sold in Australia is certified for use with up to 10% Ethanol.

I often use ethanol fuel and it does not appear to change how the NT runs.

Seagrass
True. All vehicles sold in Oz since January 2006 (IIFR) MUST BY LAW be 10% Ethanol compatable.
That is NO reason to use it. I have been a qualified Motor Mechanic for well over 40 years and I have spent a lot of time and money repairing my customer's vehicles that have been damaged by Ethanol in recent years. I still work on the shop floor repairing vehicles every working day.
Despite the law, I still see fuel systems damaged by Ethanol.
Late model cars will not be damaged in the short term but items such as failed fuel pumps still come out of the tanks looking very corroded. The visible differences between a vehicle using Ethanol and one that does not is plain to see. On older vehicles the alloy fuel pumps will corrode in a matter of months.
Another point to consider is the cost/benefit of using it. Due to the loss of efficiency/increased consumption of 5-15% even on late model vehicles, E10 would need to be 5-15% cheaper than regular fuel. In Melbourne it is usually only around 3-4% cheaper. It is not cost effective.
I will not use E10 if a NON Ethanol alternative is available, even if I have to pay more occassionally. If there is no alternative I will buy the minimum to get me to the next outlet with regular fuel.
The inside of my fuel tank (NT700V8) is still shiney silver with no sign of discolouration. I intend to keep it that way.
By the way, I ALWAYS park both of my bikes with a full tank to eliminate as much air/condensation from the system as possible. I am less fussy with my cars but do the best I can in that regard.
If anyone is happy to use E10/E15 that is fine by me. It is their choice but it is usually an ill informed or ignorant choice!

Macka

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Biggest issue I have with NT mileage: Riding with someone else. 200 miles is rare with most other bikes I ride with, many 150. If I am leading I have to plan stops for them, at 200 I get about 4 gallons, at 150 I sometimes don't bother and use the john while they fill. I don't really track mileage, but I did notice at 235 miles I got 4.13 gallons on a recent trip. I find the NT especially nice in rural areas, I don't like filling at those rural stations that don't do a lot of fuel.
Again, I agree.
The excellent range gives me the opportunity to choose where I buy my fuel when often my riding friends will have to buy from a "suspect" retailer.
On a normal day ride I do not have to buy fuel whereas some of my friends with small tanks and thirsty engines will stop for fuel twice.
On a large group ride it is a huge waste of time waiting for 10 or more bikes to fill up twice during the day.

Macka

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Here in the US the E10 was pushed as a way to be "independent" of OPEC. It then became another farmer subsidy program. What reason did the govt use where you are?

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Here in the US the E10 was pushed as a way to be "independent" of OPEC. It then became another farmer subsidy program. What reason did the govt use where you are?
The cynical ones amongst us say that it was because the owner of the biggest manufacturer of Ethanol was a close personal friend of our Prime Minister at the time of introduction.
The official reason was that it was "Environmentally Responsible" and reduced our dependance on mineral oil.
The political party in Government at the time is well known as supporting BIG business (big cash donors) over the needs of the population.
As time goes by we see more and more evidence that it is NOT Envoronmentally Responsible and needs big Government support (tax exemptions/mandates etc) to be viable.

Macka

Sergeant Gshock

What Warren said. With my back putting the bike on the center stand is not going to happen.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Side stand also. I don't think you would get too much more by putting it on the center stand.
So, I had to try it. At a nice level looking gas station I filled the NT on the sidestand until it was 1/2 gas & 1/2 air above the neck, my usual spot to stop filling. Close the lid, up on center stand, and continued filling until the level was to the lower filler neck. Just over 1/2 gallons more! I was surprised it was that much more. It increases range by 25 miles.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
What Warren said. With my back putting the bike on the center stand is not going to happen.
Although I've never broken my back I am registered partially disabled because of it. I have no problems getting the bike onto the centre stand. It's all a matter of technique and the correct technique means using your legs not your back...

There is a topic on here somewhere devoted to putting the Deauville (NT700) onto the centre stand.

Bike
Silver NT700V
So, I had to try it. At a nice level looking gas station I filled the NT on the sidestand until it was 1/2 gas & 1/2 air above the neck, my usual spot to stop filling. Close the lid, up on center stand, and continued filling until the level was to the lower filler neck. Just over 1/2 gallons more! I was surprised it was that much more. It increases range by 25 miles.
I would not have thought it would make that much difference. About 10% at full capacity. In deep west TX it could make a difference as it can easily be 200 miles between decent gas stations.

remember though, buy gas before you need it.

Chuck

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
I always do fill ups on the center stand now that I have gotten used to putting it up. I step down hard on the center stand and lift with the rear foot peg boss at the same time. Works for me. I have a 99 concours that I never put on the center stand unless I'm home in the garage witha 2 x 6. But the Connie stands up straighter on its sidestand than the NT does.

Although I've never broken my back I am registered partially disabled because of it. I have no problems getting the bike onto the centre stand. It's all a matter of technique and the correct technique means using your legs not your back...

There is a topic on here somewhere devoted to putting the Deauville (NT700) onto the centre stand.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
On a related note, what do most of you folks do when filling up. Side stand or centre stand???
Side stand. When the tank is close to full, I just nudge the bike a little so as to "burp" the tank and let out the little pocket of air created by the tilt of using the side stand.

When I'm loaded on a trip, and the top case is on, I have a lot of trouble getting the bike up on or off the center stand. When I check tire pressures, its on the center stand, but without the top case mounted.

Top Bottom