packing for Vegas

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm doing a mock up packing of the bike for Saturday morning KSU to Vegas
I'm packing way more clothes and shoes than I would like to, so I can spend the evenings with my wife.
If it was just me I would take bare minimums.
I learned last summer on the Spearfish run that I overpacked big time
But between needing clean clothes for being in Vegas and not knowing what the weather might do, I am bringing more stuff than I'd like.

I am dedicating my entire topbox to weather gear for quick access: warm things, extra shield, wipes etc
My waterproof duffel rides pillion
Right pannier for rain gear and tire acoutremonts
Left for CPAP & bungees

I'm hoping my duffel will be low enough on the back seat that I don't have to o the karate kick to mount

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Have fun, Clay! What's your weather forecast looking like?

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
weather forecast looking like?
Right now looks like low 40s in the mornings and mid to high 70s in the PM, so near perfect for travelling
But you never know

I'll ride 530 miles to Van Horn and overnight there on Saturday
On 427 miles to Tucson to hook up with Rick Ryan on Sunday
Ride 407 miles into Vegas on Monday with Rick and catch up with Joy at the hotel
Then Rick and I will do some moto touring on Tue-Thu...I will start back Friday morning

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Clay, you're in for a treat. Rick is a great host and guide. I got the royal treatment from him when I visited there last month. If you can tell him what you want - he can find it X 3.

I don't know what Rick calls rain out there, but when I went there in mid Feb. it rained enough to delay my flight into Vegas. I don't think it takes much and there was no sign of it by the time I arrived. The weather was great. But it doesn't take much to beat what I'm used to here. We had a HIGH of 3 below yesterday and the snow is up to the bellies on my horses. I haven't even seen my motorcycle since October. You guys are lucky (so smarter than me). You can test the "lucky" part in that town.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
When I was in the Army and they would send me on temporary duty somewhere I would look through my stuff and find things I hadn't used for a while. Things getting a little scruffy. They would stay at the far end. Leave space for the things to bring home for wife and children so they would know that even if they didn't see me much, I thought about them.

bicyclist

I've flopped in Van Horn a couple of times in one of the motels on the west side of town. The Hotel El Capitan at the intersection of Broadway and old highway 90 is a place to get a good meal (maybe the only place). Good food, nice ambience, not the cheapest place in town.

I change my watch in the morning before I leave because the time zone changes just west of town.

Have fun. I enjoyed my time in Vegas. Rick gave me the tour and he, Igo and I got together for dinner one night. It was the largest gathering of NTs in the state.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
After I re-retire and (maybe) after Joanne and I get our house sold and move, I'm planning on a trip to Vegas if I can coordinate it with Rick's crowded schedule. We've traveled together and I enjoy his company and know that he would be a good guide to the city.

Shoot, if we all keep advertising his hospitality, he can set up a fee-based visitor service and get rich! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think he means face-shield, Chris. He was talking about not having gotten his fancy new Hyper-Optik faceshield in the mail.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
He was talking about not having gotten his fancy new Hyper-Optik faceshield in the mail.
Makes me so mad. I ordered on a Saturday and I ended up having to email the owner on Tuesday and as far as I can tell, it hasnt moved yet
I dont know how high tech the USPS tracking is, but it only shows that the Post Office has been notified of a shipment, so I cant tell if its en route or sitting on someone's desk at the shop

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Shoot, if we all keep advertising his hospitality, he can set up a fee-based visitor service and get rich! :)
I had a hard time buying him a dinner and he wouldn't stop to let me fill his gas tank. But we can still advertise his hospitality, and if we do a good enough job maybe he will pay US to quit!!!!!

Top Bottom