Painted Faded Plastic Parts

Bike
2011 NT700VA
I painted all the faded plastic parts 3 months ago. I wanted to wait a few months to see how they wore. So far, so good. I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black. I spayed 6 thin coats and it matches great and holding up perfect.

Shows fading on the side cover.

Before

Before - Shows the sun fading on the top and the bottom hidden from the sun

Before

Before

Before

Before

After

After

After - I used 6 thin coats. Took 3 cans of paint.

Ready for re-assembly

All assembled and I added a used lower faring bought from the UK and painted to match

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
While I have not yet painted as many parts with the Fusion Satin Black I have had the same experience. I only gave mine two coats however and they are holding up great. In the spring I will remove the rest of the grayed out parts and paint them as well. No matter how many magic potions in a bottle I tried, and I tried them all, none worked. For me painting them has turned out to be the best solution.

What did you paint the two side cover gray pieces with ? I have not found a gray paint that matches well yet.

OP
OP
MarkinTexas
Bike
2011 NT700VA
I didn't paint them. I too tried a lot of potions with poor results.
Best,

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
After washing the parts to clean off the dirt and grease I wiped them down with ammonia.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Good job! After my experience doing something similar with Plasti-dip, I decided this would be the next thing to try. I even bought a can of krylon. I traded My NT before the Plasti-dip needed updating and I came to like the rubber texture feel of the plasti-dip. I did not bother to do that rear piece and when I traded my NT it was the only piece that looked faded, but my rear piece didn't look nearly that grey and was hard to notice on my silver bike. I bet those faded pieces were really noticeable on that nice black machine.

I realize this thread is old, but no point starting a new one with the same stuff. . . I just painted many of my plastic parts using Rust-Oleum Universal Advanced Formula satin black. So far it looks fantastic. I will post an update if it proves to peel or scratch too easily. I prepped the parts by scrubbing them with soap and water, then rubbing with an alcohol soaked rag. The paint appears to be sticking well with no signs of fisheye or anything like that. Had to remove many plastic parts to change the coolant so I figured I may as well try to paint them.

Top Bottom